Skip Navigation

[Closed] Displaying Post-Type parent field on child Post-Type View

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by MrHinsh 9 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mario.

Author

I am trying to display information from a parent as part of a Table list of children. Let me explain...

I have Events that are instances of Offerings that may also have Webcasts. So I have configured both Offerings and Webcasts as parents of Events. Offerings is the distinct list of things with Events being a list of instances of those Offerings and Webcasts represents recordings of Events.

Offering Webcast[optional]
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
Event

I want to display a list (table) of Events, but I also want to include some data from either Offering or/and Webcast... for example:

Columns for display:

Offering.TypeImage
Offering.Duration
Event.EventDate
Event.EventTime
Offering.InformationLink
Webcast.VideoLink
Event.Title
Event.Description

I am not sure how to output this. I think I need a View for the sub items, for example "Offering.TypeImage", but how do I tell it to load data from another Post-Type?

Hi,

There is an 'id' parameter for the field shortcode passing with the name of the parent post type.

Check this out: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/displaying-fields-of-parent-pages/

Best,
Mario

That is exactly what I am looking for.

Is there some way to have this added to the UI (feature request):

As a View Creator I want to be able to easily select fields from parents a children so that I do not need to know the shortcodes

GIVEN The type that I am viewing has a parent
WHEN I select "Add Field"
THEN I can click to insert fields from the parent
AND the shortcode is automatically inserted

🙂

The topic ‘[Closed] Displaying Post-Type parent field on child Post-Type View’ is closed to new replies.