Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying custom taxonomy fields on the front end

This support ticket is created 3 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 3 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Displaying custom taxonomy fields on the front end

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/displaying-wordpress-term-fields/#displaying-term-fields-with-views-without-writing-any-code

I made some custom category fields (to a custom taxonomy, not the default WP categories) that I would like to display on the archive page for that particular category. So I would like to show an excerpt for that category, then the posts in that category, and then a more extensive description. I also added a category image.

I would also like to make a view that lists all the categories with the category images and maybe the excerpt, that I can link to the category.

However, when I choose the "fields and views" block, I don't see my custom category fields. Even if I install the legacy views plugin.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for getting in touch.

You will only get the term meta's for your custom taxonomy only when you are building taxonomy archive or a taxonomy view.

If you are building an archive that is listing out Posts then you won't get the taxonomy custom field option. Can you let me know what kind of view you are building out ?

Also if you can provide the credentials and a link to the page where I can see the issue, that will greatly help as well.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Artist Fields.PNG

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the credentials. Have a look at my screenshot.

I was able to create an a Taxonomy view and using the Fields and Views button the taxonomy custom fields are showing up.

I'm not seeing where you've posted a link where you're experiencing the issue but it seems to be working fine.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I'm probably looking in the wrong place... can you point me in the right direction? This is a screen recording of what I'm doing (no audio): hidden link

Shane
Supporter

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the video, I did an internal check on our system for an issue similar to this. It turns out that it is not yet possible to add the custom taxonomy meta fields using the gutenburg editor for the custom archives.

The solution here is to build out your custom archive with the classic editor or manually get the custom field meta using the shortcode method.

If you want to keep using the Gutenburg editor to build out the archive then the shortcode method will work well. Here is an example of the shortcode that you should use.

[types termmeta="cust-slug"][/types]

I also went ahead and added your ticket to the issue's tracker so that our development team can understand the priority of resolving this one.

If there are any issues please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.