Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying custom fields on published posts

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jean-Francois Mayer 6 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Probably this is a question asked many times, but I am unable to find a simple answer.

I just bought Toolset for a site currently at the staging phase. My hope was that Toolset would be simpler to use than other tools for creating and displaying custom fields, i.e. that I wouldn't need to intervene into the PHP code and that the plugin would take care of everything.

However, as I attempt to use it after downloading the different components, it seems to be more complicated than plugins such as ACF and, most of all, the custom fields in my test post don't show on the published page. The custom fields that I create with Toolset are there, in my WP admin panel, with their content, but they do not show on my published page.

There must be something I have not understood correctly or done correctly? My understanding was that, once the paid plugin was installed, this would be possible without having to do any coding by myself. But it does not seem to be so.

If any simple, clear clarification/explanation/tutorial could be provided, this would be much appreciated.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Jean,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

To display your custom fields there should be a button above your edit page editor called "Views and Types"

Click this button and then search for your custom field. Once you have done that then you click on the field and then it will insert the shortcode to display that field on the frontend.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you very much.

Yes, I had seen and done that. It didn't produce anything. I have now made another attempt: it has worked for one custom field (a selection between two options), not for another one (a WYSYWYG area).

Anyway, this does not serve my purpose: I am not interested in having to insert the custom fields using a code on each page. My expectation was that those custom fields that are filled would automatically show where I have placed them, without further intervention for each of them.

Maybe I should explain what I intend to do: it is a website offering at its core a listing of some 60 local groups, with more to come. For each of them, there are fields such as address, affiliation, website (if they have one), main language used by members, etc. Since the fields are mostly similar ( but not filled in all cases), my intent was to have them on each page, with me filling them when required, but not otherwise. Moreover, I expected the name that I gave to each field appear at the top of each instance of a filled field.

Probably it is just that my expectations were wrong, and that Toolset is not meant to achieve something like that.

My purpose is to do it in a very simple way. If it is too complex, I prefer not to pursue that way.

In the meantime, however, I would still like to understand why my WYSYWYG field does not appear (it shows as: [types field='adressse'][/types] in the WP panel).

Jean-Francois

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

Would you mind providing me with admin access tot he site so that I can check on this for you ?
The private fields will be enabled for your next response.
Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

The shortcode actually works.

It seems the reason why it wasn't showing up was because the custom field was actually empty.

Take a look at the post that I added the text "my address" to.

Thanks,
Shane

Thank you, Shane! Yes, you are right. It is really strange. I had obviously added it and removed it several times. Did I by mistake remove the content at some point? This is possible. I must also say that I wondered at some point what I should do with the "View" window. I concluded that I probably shouldn't care to deal with the different options.

Anyway, thank you for your help. I need really to think if Toolset is the way to go for my project. If I need to add the different code items manually on each individual post, beside entering the content for each custom field, it does not make much sense. At least, this offers a good opportunity to test different tools for custom fields.

Best regards.

Jean-Francois

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jean,

I'm happy I was able to assist you.

I would recommend taking a look through our documentation just to see how much you can get done without coding for your project.

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/#

Since this issue has been resolve could you mark this ticket as resolved and if there are any further questions you can just open a new ticket.

Thanks,
Shane

Yes, Shane, I will do! Many thanks for your helpfulness: this speaks a lot for the quality of Toolset support!

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.