Skip Navigation

[Closed] Displaying custom fields on front-end of normal WP post

This support ticket is created 7 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 7 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to:

Hi

I bought your plugin last week.

What I'm trying to achieve is very simple.

I want to show "About Company Custom Fields" under every article/post that I write. To achieve this, I created custom fields including "Company Name", "Company Description", "Company URL", etc. Those custom fields appear on the back-end when I choose to write a new article.

However, I'm not able to display this information on the front-end.

I visited this URL:

hidden link

I expected to see:

About Company information under each post

Instead, I got:

Nothing

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

HI Suzan,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

There are actually 2 ways to do this.

The first way is that you can use the fields and views button over the wordpress default editor and add the shortcodes for the custom fields to the post editor.

The next way is that you can create a content template for the post type and then add the shortcodes to the content template .

This way each of you posts will automatically display the information when they are created.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I've followed your instruction and tried both methods. These are my findings

METHOD #1:

I don't quit understand why one should create custom fields in the first place if I must go and create shortcodes and insert them in the body of the editor EACH TIME I create a new post?

This is cumbersome. I expected to create custom fields, the writer who writes the article fills the blanks from the back-end and done! Now it is cumbersome from a workflow point of view.

This is not the behavior I expected, otherwise I could achieve this by using Visual Composer to add a simple box at the end of the article achieving the same results or better.

Ok now let's examine method #2

METHOD #2:

I created a template including the custom fields "Company Info". Then when I go create a new post, I see the template appear in the back-end. When I write my article and fill the custom fields in the "Company Info" section, I select the content template I created and save my post. What happens is this template replaces my original content!!

It seems that the created content template is replacing my original post! I want to extend my original post not to replace it!

I'm completely confused now! I might be wrong or missing a point or two!

Please let me know if you need any extra information from my side to help you assist me better.

Please help me solve this issue. If this is not going to solve my pain I would like to ask for a refund.

Best regards,

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Susan,

Let me see if I can bring some clarity on the use.

When using a content template it replaces the default view on the frontend with the one you created in the content template.

Now you have the fields and views button to populate that content template with attributes of your posts such as the Post Title, Content etc.

You can essentially recreate the default view of you theme content layout using the content templates.

Have a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/view-templates/

If you would like me to create an example on your website you can let me know and i'll be more than happy to assist.

Thanks,
Shane

The topic ‘[Closed] Displaying custom fields on front-end of normal WP post’ is closed to new replies.