Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Display posts count for a view on the index page

This support ticket is created 5 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jeffrey 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hello, some times, I would like to display a view title with a link and posts count linking to post view on an index page, I know I can use [wpv-items-count] to show the post count found. but if so, I have to create tow view, one for showing the posts list, another one for showing posts count, and then put it on the index page.

Can I have a way to reuse the same view and modify some parameter to achieve that? Such as the example below

My published post 15------------------------- the view link with the item count

point this link to the my published post.

I consider this is a very common request, but I don't know why I can not find a answer in the forum.

Thank you so much!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for contacting us and I'll be happy to assist.

To generate two different outputs from a single view, you can use an attribute value, passed through the view's shortcode.
( https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/passing-arguments-to-views/#controlling-the-filter-with-shortcode-attributes )

You'll first create a view with a full output ( i.e. posts list ). Once it is ready, you can split the contents of the "Loop Editor" section into two conditional blocks.
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/conditional-html-output-in-views/ )

1. The first block will only show when "version" attribute in the view's shortcode will be set with the value "short".

[wpv-conditional if="( '[wpv-attribute name="version"]' eq 'short' )"] 
<p>The count of posts is: [wpv-items-count].</p>
[/wpv-conditional]

2. Right below the first block, the second block will show when "version" attribute in the view's shortcode will not be set with the value "short".

[wpv-conditional if="( '[wpv-attribute name="version"]' ne 'short' )"] 
[wpv-layout-start]
[wpv-layout-end]
[/wpv-conditional]

Please note how the whole content of this "Loop Editor" section ( starting from [wpv-layout-start] to [wpv-layout-end] ) is nested/wrapped inside this second conditional block.

As a result, when you'll need the full output of the view, you'll use the regular shortcode:

[wpv-view name="slug-of-the-view"]

And when you'd like to show the short version, you'll include a shortcode attribute version="short":

[wpv-view name="slug-of-the-view" version="short"]

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.