Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Display different parts of Custom Taxonomy separately

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ben 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Ben
Views Output.png
Locations.png

I would like to be able to display different terms of a Custom Taxonomy separately.

At the moment I have a taxonomy called Locations. I have the terms set out like this: Country, City, Area. So in my example I have: United Kingdom, London, Islington.

I can display these on the Front End using a View. I am currently using the below to do this.

[wpv-taxonomy-link]
 <br>
[types termmeta='flag' title='%%TITLE%%' alt='%%ALT%%' size='full'][/types]

You can see from my View Output screenshot that all the taxonomy terms display together.

Is there any way I can display each term separately? For example, display the Area and City together and then display the Country separate somewhere else?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Ben,

Thank you for contacting us and I'll be happy to assist.

There is no built-in shortcode available to show taxonomy terms, separated based on the hierarchy level.

To achieve this, you can register a custom shortcode, that gets all the terms attached to a post and then only show them, based on the provided "level" attribute.

The following code can be added to the active theme's "functions.php" file:

add_shortcode('get_terms_by_level', 'get_terms_by_level_func');
function get_terms_by_level_func($atts) {

$taxonomy = $atts['taxonomy'];
	$postid = $atts['id'];
	$level = $atts['level'];

if( !(isset($level)) || (empty($level)) ) {
		$level = 1;
	}

$terms = get_the_terms( $postid, $taxonomy);

if ( $terms && ! is_wp_error( $terms ) ) {

foreach ($terms as $term) {

if($term->parent == 0) {
				$results['1'] = array('id' => $term->term_id, 'name' => $term->name, 'slug' => $term->slug, 'parent' => $term->parent);		
			} else {
				$tmpresults[] = array('id' => $term->term_id, 'name' => $term->name, 'slug' => $term->slug, 'parent' => $term->parent);
			}

}

foreach ($tmpresults as $result) {
			if($result['parent'] == $results['1']['id']) {

$results['2'] = array('id' => $result['id'], 'name' => $result['name'], 'slug' => $result['slug'], 'parent' => $result['parent']);

}
			else {
				$results['3'] = array('id' => $result['id'], 'name' => $result['name'], 'slug' => $result['slug'], 'parent' => $result['parent']);
			}
		}

return '<a href="' . esc_url( get_term_link( $results[$level]['id'], $taxonomy) ) . '">' . $results[$level]['name'] . '</a>';

}

}

After that, in your view, you can use this new shortcode to show terms at different levels like this:

// get country level term with level 1
[get_terms_by_level id="[wpv-post-id]" taxonomy="category" level="1"]

// get city level term with level 2
[get_terms_by_level id="[wpv-post-id]" taxonomy="category" level="2"]

// get area level term with level 3
[get_terms_by_level id="[wpv-post-id]" taxonomy="category" level="3"]

Note: Please replace "category" with the actual slug of your custom taxonomy.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions around this approach.

regards,
Waqar

Ben

Thank you so much for your help with this Waqar!

This works perfectly and allows me to achieve exactly what I wanted to do, with minimal fuss.

Your help is highly appreciated. Once again, thank you my friend!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.