Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Display child posts by custom date field

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to Order child posts by “Custom Date Field” while having many-to-many relationships for custom post types?

Solution:
Orderby Custom Field works fine for normal posts or custom posts (non-relational posts). But the same solution is not possible with built-in options of Views for many-to-many relational data, so the orderby Custom date field and query filtering is being done by the following code. Please note that you will need to modify this code to add your post types, custom fields and other data to make it work for your site or setup:

I have created a custom shortcode [display_related_session_posts] and added following code in theme’s functions.php file and now the order is working good:

function display_parent_post_order_by_date_field( $atts, $content = '' ) {

extract( shortcode_atts( array(
        'speaker_id' => '',
    ), $atts ) );

$child_args = array(
        'post_type' => 'speaking-slot',
        'numberposts' => -1,
        'order' => 'ASC',
        'meta_query' => array(array('key' => '_wpcf_belongs_speaker_id', 'value' => $speaker_id))
    );
    $child_posts = get_posts($child_args);

$parent_ids = array();
    foreach($child_posts as $child) { 
        $parent_ids[] = get_post_meta($child->ID, '_wpcf_belongs_session_id', true);
    }

$session_args = array(
        'post_type' => 'session',
        'posts_per_page' => -1,
        'meta_key' => 'wpcf-start-date-time',
        'orderby' => 'meta_value',
        'order' => 'ASC', // We can change order from here ASC/DESC
        'post__in' => $parent_ids,  
    );

$the_query = new WP_Query( $session_args );

// The Loop

$post_contents = '';
    if ( $the_query->have_posts() ) :
        while ( $the_query->have_posts() ) : $the_query->the_post();
          $post_contents .= do_shortcode($content);
        endwhile;
    endif;
    // Reset Post Data
    wp_reset_postdata();

return $post_contents;

}
add_shortcode( 'display_related_session_posts', 'display_parent_post_order_by_date_field' );
This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 6 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

Thanks again! So the issue had to do with the newly implemented code. But one last thing (hopefully...)

Take a look at these two posts:
hidden link
hidden link

The text are merged together. If you edit the post, you can see the text are supposed to be in paragraphs.

Interestingly, these few other posts are fine:
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

I have added <br><br> and the line space is correct now. This might be due to the theme or something else. I pressed “Update” button on these 2 posts last time that’s why we only see this on 2 posts. So you can use <br> to enforce spacing.
hidden link
hidden link

And just for the info this is not related to the code I have added, I have checked it by removing code.

If there are still any further issues, please kindly consider opening a new ticket for that. Thank you

Thanks again Noman, everything is in order now! Once again, you are my lifesaver!

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Glad to hear that, we are always happy to help you. Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.