Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Deleted custom field name cannot be used again

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 6 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

1. Create a custom field (let's say a text field)
2. Save the field group.
3. Delete a custom field
4. Try to create a custom field with the same slug as the previously deleted field
5. You can't because "Warning: field slug already used" which is not true.

This bug was reported 2 years ago, the bug report is closed, but the bug is still not fixed:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/deleted-custom-field-slug-cannot-be-used-again/

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I think you missed the last reply from Beda where explain the details:
=> https://toolset.com/forums/topic/deleted-custom-field-slug-cannot-be-used-again/#post-336249

If you remove a field from a group, this does not delete the definition of the Field itself. You can see the custom field at:
=> Toolset => Post Fields => click on button "Post Field Control".

From where you can manage your custom field and again assign it to your desired fields group or you can completely remove it by deleting it.

Hey,

Yes. I missed that.

I understand it's not a bug, but from a user's perspective, it looks like a bug. And for sure it's a strong usability issue.

Consider the following scenario:

1. Add a field,
2. Change your mind about the field type
3. It's not always allowed to change a field type (which is bizarre, btw: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/ux-improvement-add-ability-to-change-a-custom-post-type/)
4. So delete the field and try to re-create it again
5. You see a message that it's not possible because the field already exist

Of course the message is true, because the field exist (in the database) - but from user point of view it no longer exist because it was already deleted. There's no explanation, no guidance how to get rid of the that previously created field - nothing at all.

An explanation text or a link to the Control Custom Fields would be very helpful - or even better - a button (or a dialogue, whatever...) that would delete the field for us.

I'm sure that a great majority of Types users is not aware of Control Custom Fields page, because it's hidden under Types > Custom Fields > Control Custom Fields menu.

So please convert this bug report into a feature request. Thanks.

Dear Lapala,

Minesh is in his holiday, as you request, I have marked this thread as "Feature request", and reassign it to correspond supporter, your request will be filed.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

I just send your concern to our developers for assessment and they will review this feature and if the feature request passes the assessment - you will see this feature will be implemented in near future release.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.