Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom validation on cred form with repeating field groups

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

I have a cred form which has multiple sets of repeating field groups (latest beta) within it. I want to require the user to enter a minimum number of entries in each of the groups.

Solution:

The client has achieved it by custom JS codes instead of using CRED filter hook "cred_form_validate", see it here:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-validation-on-cred-form-with-repeating-field-groups/#post-632144

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jamesR-13 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I have a cred form which has multiple sets of repeating field groups (latest beta) within it. I want to require the user to enter a minimum number of entries in each of the groups.

I am following the example here: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/cred-api/#cred_form_validate

I have come up with the following code, but it doesn't display any errors anywhere on the page or in the console, and it doesn't prevent submission of the form. I don't know what I am missing.

add_filter('cred_form_validate','my_validation',10,2);
function my_validation($error_fields, $form_data)
{
    list($fields,$errors)=$error_fields;
    if ($form_data['id']==157)
    {       
            $user = get_current_user_id();
            $user_post_count = count_user_posts( $user , 'reference' );

if ( $user_post_count < 3)
        {
            //set error message for my_field
            $errors['wpcf-user-validation']='Please add at least 3 references.';
        }
    }
    return array($fields,$errors);
}

Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

For the question:
it doesn't display any errors anywhere on the page or in the console, and it doesn't prevent submission of the form.

The problem might in the CRED form settings, please try these:
1) You are using Types plugin to setup the custom field "user-validation"

2) Edit the CRED form (ID 157), put above custom fields into the CRED form, for example:
[cred_field field='user-validation' ...]

Then test again.

Thank you Luo, I have added the field to the group and inserted it in my form. The form still submits normally and no errors are displayed. You can see an example here:

hidden link

OK, i found I had some old code in my functions.php rather than the code I shared above. The code above does indeed prevent form submission and show the error on the field 'user-validation'.

However, I need to have the function check how many entries I have in my repeating field group named 'references', rather than the user-validation field. Also, my code doesn't check that the entries are children of the current post, only how many posts of that type exist, which could be problematic.

I think the question here is how to count the entries in the new repeating field groups.

I wound up using jQuery to do this instead of doing it on PHP. Here's my code:

$(document).ready(function(){
var count = $(".references").length;
var count2 = $(".emergency-contacts").length;
if (count < 3){
	$("input[name='form_submit_1']").attr("disabled", true);
    $("input[name='form_submit_1']").addClass("disabled");
    $(".submit-warning").css("display","block")
    }
if (count2 < 1){
	$("input[name='form_submit_1']").attr("disabled", true);
    $("input[name='form_submit_1']").addClass("disabled");
    $(".submit-warning").css("display","block")
    }
});

I added my own div for a custom warning message div (.submit-warning) which is display:none by default.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.