Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom taxonomy and wordpress categories

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
1. Should I use wordpress Categories and Tags and mix it with Types taxonomy or should ONLY use the custom taxonomy?

2. should I use a custom taxonomy for countries, another for continents, another for cities? Or should it be hierarchical?
Solution:
1. These can be mixed together without any issue.

2. Please create a hierarchical taxonomy its better, structure would be like:

Trips (Custom Taxonomy)
> Continent (term / category)
>> Country (child term / category)

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 6 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by JorgeE7101 6 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

Hello. I’ve installed and read the guide, but I’m still a bit lost and would like some advice on the best way to proceed. I’m working on a new website and there are some things I would like to achieve. Sorry if this is somewhere, but I couldn’t find it or at least understand how to proceed.

This website uses your plugin and that’s the behaviour (particularly in terms of taxonomy) I’m trying to mimic:

hidden link
hidden link

My categories to be are: photography, news, stories, etc

I want to use custom taxonomy on all posts for Continent, country, City, etc

And finally tags for national parks, culture, etc

Question: Should I use wordpress Categories and Tags and mix it with Types taxonomy or should ONLY use the custom taxonomy?

Also, should I use a custom taxonomy for countries, another for continents, another for cities? Or should it be hierarchical?

I want my urls structure to be hidden link

Many thanks.

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

1. Add Terms or Categories.png
2. WordPress Archive View.png

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for contacting Toolset support.

1. Should I use wordpress Categories and Tags and mix it with Types taxonomy or should ONLY use the custom taxonomy?
==> These can be mixed together without any issue.

2. Also, should I use a custom taxonomy for countries, another for continents, another for cities? Or should it be hierarchical?
==> Please create a hierarchical taxonomy its better, structure would be like:

Trips (Custom Taxonomy)
   > Continent (term / category)
       >> Country (child term / category)

- Create 1 Custom Taxonomy called "Trips" by going to Toolset >> Taxonomies >> Add New. (and please make sure to use this Taxonomy with your Post Type or CPT).
- Add a term / category in it called "Continent"
- Add another term / category called "Country" and set "Continent" as parent, for this Country term -- please see attached screenshot.

----------------------------

3. Now to display Posts or Country Trips on these categories, you need to create a WordPress Archive View. Please go to Toolset >> WordPress Archive >> Add New >> and setup the WordPress Archive View as shown in attached screenshot.

Here is the video and doc explaining How to create a WordPress Archive View:
hidden link
hidden link -- alternate video with latest design of Views.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/normal-vs-archive-views/

Please try it, I hope this will help you to get desired results. Thank you

screenshot-2.png
screenshot-1.png

Thanks very much Noman! I've created the archive page and I'm now trying to customise it. I am using the taxonomy archive page just for the taxonomy terms and not for categories and tags.

1) However, I'd like to reuse the layout options available with my theme for archive pages - please see screenshot 1. I have those options just using the customiser from my theme. At the top of the page I would have the custom content, but the rest of the page is just a loop of related posts which my theme does well. The same as per this website which also uses your plugins: hidden link

How can I make those layout options to work with (or in) my custom archive layout?

2) How can I display the theme sidebar?

I can see some of short codes from my theme in the output editor, but event if I insert it nothing happens - please see screenshot 2

3) How do replace (dynamically if possible) the word "Archives" at the top of the page by the taxonomy term? so, if you're browsing the page hidden link The page title would be Namibia.

Thanks very much.

Noman
Supporter

WYSIWYG field.png
Edit Term.png

Hello Jorge,

You can add WYSIWYG field in Terms fields, and assign it to category. See attached screenshots.

1. This is not possible to reuse the layout options available with the Theme for archive pages. Loop output and layout is controlled from within View itself.

2. To change the page title for Archive Page:
Normally taxonomy archive Title is displayed by the theme by default. You can disable the Archive Title from theme (most premium themes offer this option).

- And then add the archive title in the Archive View following the steps I have mentioned here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-add-headline-and-text-to-archive-pages/#post-494987

- You can add static text heading as shown in above link. OR you can use this shortcode [wpv-taxonomy-archive]
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-taxonomy-archive

For point 2 and 3 if you need more info, please kindly open separate ticket for each issue and we would be happy to help. This will help other users with similar problems to find solutions when searching the forum, We do not handle multiple issues in the same ticket as per support policy (one ticket per issue). https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/

Thank you

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 17.20.03.png

Thanks Noman. I've now been able to add the sidebar to the archive pages and I have opened a another ticket for the other question related to the Archives page title.

Regarding the archive pages, what you recommend for me to achieve a similar layout as in attached screenshot if I can't reuse the theme options? This is to be used on the taxonomy archive pages and I'll be using custom term fields before the grid of posts - layout example attached

Thanks.

Noman
Supporter

That layout can be achieved with Views:

- In the WP Archive View >> using "Loop Wizard" >> add 3 Columns from the interface.

- Then add shortcodes for Post image or Featured Image, Category Title, Post Title, Date, Excerpt, Readmore, etc...

- For the Share buttons you can use any Social Sharing plugin which offers shortcodes that you can use. OR check your theme's documentation or edit layout it gives you in its imported demos. Most premium themes usually add these share buttons as shortcodes or provide shortcodes for such features. You can use shortcodes provided by your theme >> into the WP Archive View as well just like the shortcodes of View or Toolset itself.

Thanks

Thanks Noman. I'll open a new ticket for other couple of issues.

Thanks. The ticket can be closed now

All done

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.