Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom search shows all results before query is entered

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by chrisD-14 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I have a custom search at hidden link

Before any search query has been entered, the search results show all products. I don't want anything to show up until a search query is entered. How can I achieve that?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for asking! I'd be happy to help.

To make sure no results are shown from the view until a search term has been used, you can use conditional display block ( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/conditional-html-output-in-views/using-shortcodes-in-conditions/ ) to check the value of the "wpv_post_search" URL parameter, through the "wpv-search-term" shortcode ( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#vf-214940 ).

You'll note that when a search term is used in the view, it is appended in the URL parameter "wpv_post_search".

To get its value following shortcode can be used:

[wpv-search-term param="wpv_post_search"]

This can be combined in a conditional block like this:

[wpv-conditional if="( '[wpv-search-term param="wpv_post_search"]' ne '' )"]
A search term exists
[/wpv-conditional]

Likewise, this same conditional block can be used in the view's "Loop Editor" section, to wrap everything within the shortcodes "[wpv-layout-start]" and "[wpv-layout-end]".

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.