Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom search breaks for no reason

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem

My View in the front end does not work for no obvious reason. Parts are missing, the styles are off and the custom search is not working either. What could it be?

Solution

Make sure that you close your HTML tags.
You need to close all Row's DIV HTML for example, which might now only be opening, but never close in your code

Example:

<div class="row">
  some more HTML
<div class="row">
  some more HTML

Instead you should use the closing HTML too:

<div class="row">
  some more HTML
</div>
<div class="row">
  some more HTML
</div>

Not closing the HTML can exactly break the View as you experience. One single missing item may cause big effects.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by veronicaG-2 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
form-thenresults-page.png
form-thenresults.png
form-allinone-beforeselection.png
form-allinone-afterselection.png
form-allinone.png

I am trying to: Create a Custom Search Page that shows the Search options (like the screenshot named form-thenresults-page.png) then displays the results under the separator bars at bottom.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: A page like the screenshot form-thenresults-page.png, then when I make a selection and click search I should get results that appear under the seperator.

Instead, I got: No results appear, it stays blank. When placing the custom search on the page, if I use either Only the search form or Only the search results ... it stays blank. However if I use Both the search form and results then the page appears with random images (not sure why these appear in this order), then when I make a selection the results appear(see the screenshots that say form-allinone)

I logged in and can confirm this issue.

As first we would need to narrow down the exact steps to replicate this problem.

It seems to me this is due to the page builder, but I am not sure.

Can you create a Page on that Website where you do not use the builder but the native Post Editor and add the View (split in search and results) to test?

If that does not solve the issue, can you try by removing the Custom HTML that you added to the View Loop and Loop Item?
It might be that those apply custom Style (which is actually what hides your results).

If that also does not help, we will need to find the steps to replicate this.
It is very possible that it is due to different modules (in the builder).

If above steps help nothing, can we get a copy of this site so to replicate it locally and debug it?
Online this is not possible.

I would suggest to first check which plugin is causing this conflict (My tip is on the Builder).
If you can confirm this, we should also be able to narrow down the steps to replicate the issue together.

Can you share these details with us, so we can proceed?

Ok I created a test page with the native post editor - that did not fix the problem. I gave you ftp access, wordpress access and the debug information in the initial support request, do you need me to supply this information again? This is a staging site so you can go in and make changes to try to make it work.

I'm using the Avada theme with the fusion builder... it's one of your recommended themes.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-23 um 09.32.11.png

I saw that you use the old integration of AVADA:
Toolset Avada Integration

That plugin is deprecated and the new integration method is outlined here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-and-avada-theme-layouts-and-custom-templates-without-coding/

Since this is a testing site as you said, I made the basic debug steps on the site directly.
This means I left active only Toolset, WooCommerce and the required AVADA Fusion Plugins.

I enabled WP Debug:
https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG

This produces this error that needs to be adjusted:

Notice: Constant FS_METHOD already defined in /var/www/vhosts/topart.net/staging.topart.net/wp-config.php on line 95

You have a define multisite on your install too:

define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

But the rest of the multisite code is missing completely in the wp-config.php
That should be no issue but I wanted to let you know since it's also not correct.

Then I updated all outdated software that was still active.

This did all not help, so I activated the original AVADA Theme which we support, and during that I got a memory exhaustion:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in .../wp-includes/meta.php on line 837

The theme is activated nonetheless, but your server is choking.

I see you try to manipulate that in the wp-config.php but that will not help.
Servers can restrict all this to a higher level. You would need to contact your server admin for this.

So I created a new View, and a new Page:
hidden link
hidden link

And a new post, to make it work:
hidden link

This works:
hidden link

So the Problem is with that very specific View you mention.

I duplicated the View and re-inserted in to the page:
hidden link

Same result.
I removed the custom searches and the results started showing.
So it's simply a problem with your Custom Search HTML Section, where you have clearly HTML errors.
The Rows are never closed.
As soon I fix that, everything works fine.

Please review your HTML design, we cannot debug this fully, but I can tell that you need to add the closing div markups for your HTML.
Screenshot attached.

I left the site as is, I did not re-activate the other plugins.

afterclickingsearch.jpg

I clicked the links you supplied...
This works:
hidden link

So the Problem is with that very specific View you mention.

I duplicated the View and re-inserted in to the page:
hidden link

It doesn't work... no results show up? am I missing something? is it supposed to show up underneath? or on another page? I selected Blue and clicked search so there should have been plenty of items appearing.

oh and I did fix the FS_METHOD and multi site errors you indicated.

In my steps, as I outlined, I mention that your View does still not work

Then, I elaborated how to fix it, and also attached a screenshot as a hint where to check for the missing HTML:

I duplicated the View and re-inserted into the page:
hidden link

Same result.
I removed the custom searches and the results started showing.
So it's simply a problem with your Custom Search HTML Section, where you have clearly HTML errors.
The Rows are never closed.
As soon I fix that, everything works fine.

The attached Screenshot:
hidden link

You need to close all Row's DIV HTML, which right now, is only opening, but never close.

Example, you use:

<div class="row">
  some more HTML
<div class="row">
  some more HTML

Instead you should use the closing HTML too:

<div class="row">
  some more HTML
</div>
<div class="row">
  some more HTML
</div>
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.