Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Role Users To Display in Authors Dropdown

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by AlimB3245 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have implemented the code as per this ticket https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cant-add-new-user-with-new-custom-role-as-author/
and was expecting the Author's dropdown to display the users with Editor and Author's role + the role that was used in the code/function from the ticket..

Now we have 3 places where we have the Author's dropdown...

The QUICK EDIT in the list view for all posts in the wp-admin view
When the post is open in the wp-admin view, we have the Author dropdown
When the post is open in the wp-admin view, we have the Guests Author dropdown

Now, in the Quick Edit view I can see Only those users who have the custom role defined in the script above.
In the Author's Dropdown I don't see the users with the custom role
In the Guest Author's dropdown I see the code working perfectly fine and all users are displayed (Editor, Author and Custom Role)

but when I choose in the Guest Author the role is not really assigned as conditions that should apply if the author is assigned do not work.. I have to assign it in the QUICK EDIT to really have it work properly..

However I would like to ensure that the QUICK EDIT and the AUTHORS DROPDOWN actually reflect the GUEST AUTHOR DROPDOWN content.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello Alilm. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

The request you filed with this ticket is require pure custom programming as Toolset do not control how the author drop-down is constructed on edit/quick edit screen at admin section. This is beyond the scope of Toolset and Toolset support policy.

The author drop-down is controlled using WordPress and you will require to hire developer to make it work as per your requirement.

You can find list of our official contractors with the following link:
=> https://toolset.com/contractors/

Please feel free to file a new ticket if you will require help with Toolsest.

Hi Minesh

I do understand that if it's beyond Toolset then yes I would be looking for custom development.

Can you please transfer this ticket to Christian.. I would be able to explain this much better to him as he had understood my requirement and in fact it's even working fine currently.. I just needed some advise and help on further tweaking the current script.

Regards,
Alim

Minesh
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Sure - I'll assign this ticket to Christian.

Thanks Minesh..:-)..

Hi Christian,

I think Minesh was not clear about my requirement.. so I'd like to rephrase the request just in case it was my method of explaining the requirement to blame.

You had already provided the solution and I am sure it was working earlier as I had not really found any problem.. Frankly I hadn't really used it much..

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cant-add-new-user-with-new-custom-role-as-author/

But it seems to be working but in different ways at different places.. so whereas I am able to have the benefit of your script on the Guest Authors and partly in the Quick Edit view and not in the Authors dropdown.. and as far as I remember it was working properly even in the Author's dropdown..

Please advise on the best way to use the script you provided.. as right now I am using the Quick Edit view to assign the author as this view shows only the custom role users which works fine for me for now..

If I could allow you access to the site and show you the issue it would be easier.. please do allow a private response so that I can share the issue with you.

Regards,
Alim

Shane
Supporter

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Alim,

Christian is currently out sick today but will return on Sunday to continue assisting with this one.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

No worries.. it's not a very critical requirement for now.. and I can wait for Christian..:-)..

Have a nice day..:-)..

Regards,
Alim

Hello, I can activate private reply fields here. What is a Guest Author dropdown? I'm not famliar with this feature.

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like the "Guest Author" dropdown is irrelevant in this case because post ownership is a requirement. You will set post ownership using the main Author dropdown in the post editor screen and also the main Author dropdown in the bulk editor screen (Quick Edit screen). So we can disregard the "Guest Author" dropdown and plugin for now.

and was expecting the Author's dropdown to display the users with Editor and Author's role + the role that was used in the code/function from the ticket..
There are quite a few comments and replies so I would like to try to restate what you expect to confirm I understand the requirements now:
You would like to see all Users from the following roles displayed in the main post editor screen's Post Author dropdown feld, as well as in the Quick Edit Post Author dropdown field:
- author role Users
- editor role Users
- optician role Users
The author dropdowns in both locations should contain identical information. Is that correct? If not, please provide the Users' roles you would like to see in the Author drodown. Thank you!

You would like to see all Users from the following roles displayed in the main post editor screen's Post Author dropdown feld, as well as in the Quick Edit Post Author dropdown field:
- author role Users
- editor role Users
- optician role Users

Yes that's right..:-)..

The author dropdowns in both locations should contain identical information. Is that correct?

Yes that's perfect..:-)..

Thanks.. have a nice day..:-)..

Regards,
Alim

Okay according to this post, the Block Editor author field is no longer manageable with the custom code that was provided for the other ticket: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/change-author-to-any-subscriber-no-longer-works-after-wp-5/

The custom code snippet from another ticket will continue to manage the Quick Edit feature, but not the author feature in the new Block Editor experience. Unfortunately I do not have a code snippet available that will help you modify the author dropdown names in the Block Editor. That will require custom code that falls outside the scope of support we provide here in the forums.

This post claims to have a custom code solution, but I cannot support it or guarantee it will work for you:
https://www.davidmillington.net/2020/02/25/wordpress-authors-dropdown-custom-roles/

I hope you're able to find a custom solution to this problem.

Hi Christian

Thanks for the update.. :-)..

Yes I do realise that I can't expect custom code beyond a certain point from toolset and I really do appreciate how much your team does to help me..:-)..

And frankly, I think what you've done is good enough for me.. as now the Quick Edit works for me as a menu to select the 'special' roles and the Author's dropdown does the job it's supposed to do.. it's a good demarcation..;-)..

The only reason I wanted to ensure they both are the same was because I thought it was a bug.. but now that you've confirmed that it's the way it's supposed to be, then I am fine with it..:-)..

Thanks again.. have a nice day..:-)..

Regards,
Alim

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.