Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Post loses assigned Layout Template on Updates

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.35 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I have designed dozens of sites using TOOLSET and haven't run across this issue before.

I created a Custom Post Type called ARTICLES.

I created a TOOLSET Layout for the individual ARTICLE posts.

However, each time a new ARTICLE gets published or updated, the individual ARTICLE gets "unassigned" from the Layout that it is supposed to use. There is no way to "reassign" it to the correct Layout while editing the ARTICLE because for some reason the Layout does not appear in the Template Layout Select Menu (no Layout options are available). I end up having to go into the Layouts area and assigning ALL ARTICLES to the correct Layout in order to fix the problem.

I am guessing that this is a plugin conflict, but I wanted to see if you had ever come across it previously.

Hello, this is a bit confusing but it happens when Blocks is active instead of Views. The easiest solution here is to deactivate Blocks and activate Views instead. Then you can use the settings editor in Toolset > Settings > General to control which editors are used throughout wp-admin. The Template Layout panel will again be displayed in the post editor screen, and you should be able to reassign any posts that became disassociated with the correct Template Layout.

Settings.jpg
Blocks.jpg

Thanks Christian for the swift reply. Unfortunately I don't have Blocks enabled in my set of TOOLSET Plugins (see screenshots)

Okay I think I misunderstood the issue. What about other plugins, can you temporarily disable everything except Types, Views and Layouts and activate a default theme like Twenty Twenty? You can activate a Maintenance Mode plugin if necessary. Does the Layout in question return to the Template Layout options?

I can't really start disabling plugins on the LIVE site.

I will have to figure out another way.

I just didn't know if you guys had seen this issue previously.

Offhand no, I've seen the entire Template Layout panel disappear when Blocks is active so that's why I mentioned it at first, but I'm not aware of another issue that would cause the panel to disappear or individual Layouts to suddenly be lost from the Template Layout panel. If you're able to replicate the problem in a staging environment I'll be glad to take a closer look.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.