Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom forms won't turn on

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by russellH-3 2 years, 12 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I'm trying to change a custom post type so it will just link to an external URL instead of the post itself.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/redirect-each-post-url-to-an-exernal-url-from-a-custom-field/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
I'm afraid not

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Hey, I'm trying to follow the above support ticket. I'm trying to change my 'Resources' CPT so if you click on one of them, it leads to an external URL instead of a post page. What I'm finding is that I can't turn on WordPress' default Custom Fields. When I go to [dot menu] > Preferences > Panels > Custom Fields, the edior page reloads but the custom fields are not there.

I tried switching to a default theme, but it was the same problem.

I am using Toolset's Custom Fields for a different page template. Would that be interfering with WordPress' built in version? If so, can I use Toolset's Custom Fields instead to link to an external URL?

Thanks! Russell

I am using Toolset's Custom Fields for a different page template. Would that be interfering with WordPress' built in version?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using Custom Fields for a different page template, can you provide a bit more detail about this?

If so, can I use Toolset's Custom Fields instead to link to an external URL?
The solution in that other ticket you linked to is specifically written for use with Toolset's custom fields. The 'wpcf-' prefix is used by Types custom fields in the database, so it is included in the get_post_meta function call you see in the other ticket's custom code snippet.

Hey Christian:

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. I didn't realize the other ticket's solution was written for Toolset's custom fields. That may solve my problem. I'll come back to this ticket then and update it.

Thanks!

Okay great, I'll stand by for your update tomorrow. Good luck!

Hey Christian. Yeah, that worked a treat. After setting up the Custom Field in Toolset, I used the functions.php code from that other support ticket and everything worked as hoped. Thanks for your help!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.