Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields not using the update_post_meta function

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I've been using the Better Notifications for WP (BNWP) plugin to get emails whenever specified custom fields are updated. However, it isn't working so I reached out to the BNWP developer and he indicated that the Toolset custom fields are not using the built-in update_post_meta function and updated_post_meta action. This essentially is breaking the functionality for BNWP.

Does this sound right? If so, is it possible to have the Toolset custom field updates trigger these built-in WordPress functions? Thank you for the help!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for contacting us and I'll be happy to assist.

Our Toolset Types plugin uses "update_post_meta" function for custom fields, but it seems that the "Better Notifications for WordPress" plugin's custom field module, only offers partial support for Toolset.
( ref: hidden link )

If you could share more specific details around how and which fields you'd like to link with the "Better Notifications for WP" plugin's notification, I'll be in better position to suggest a solution or a workaround.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar, thank you for the response! I'm trying to get updates for the file custom field. The developer for BNWP is willing to make some updates to add more complete support so I'm trying to help out.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for waiting while I performed a few tests with the "Better Notifications for WP" plugin.

During testing, I noticed that it works for default WordPress events ( like post update, post addition, etc), but not for specific custom fields defined through the Toolset Types.

I can see how a deeper level of support between "Toolset Types" and "Better Notifications for WP" plugin can prove useful in a number of cases and I would suggest submitting this idea here:
https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

We just changed how feature requests are gathered, and there you will be able to add this suggestion, so Product Management can consider it directly.

Meanwhile, you can use "save_post" hook ( ref: https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/save_post ) to programmatically attach a specific action when a post is updated from the admin area.

And if posts are being updated through a frontend form, you can use "cred_save_data" hook:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/cred-api/#cred_save_data

I hope this helps and appreciate you brought this forward.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.