Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom fields not limited by template and show on popup for New or Quick Edit

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bente 4 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 7.52.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 7.51.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 7.49.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 7.48.37 PM.png

This issues is part of this bug which has not been fixed completely:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/after-latest-update-custom-fields-show-everywhere-not-by-template-or-post-type/

When using Connected Post Types and Adding or Editing a Connected Post Type, this post type still shows Custom fields that do not belong to it.

The fields that show are limited by Template, e.g. they should only show on pages using the Home Page Template.
However, they also show on a custom post type that does not have this template assigned.

When 'normally' adding or editing taht same custom post type this does not happen.

This should be fixed asap! The original bug was found in February 2019 and it is now May 2019.
My clients use this type of connection and adding/editing several times per week and those fields are very confusing to them.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I was looking to test and reproduce this locally but I'm missing some details and so it's not clear what I'm looking at in your screenshots.

It looks like you have a relationship between post types Tours and Tour Dates.

You have a custom field group (the Tour Date Fields I can see in the screenshot?) which is appearing where it should not.

What exactly are the settings for that field group? It's not assigned to a post type, it is solely assigned according to the template used, is that right?

Which of your post types Tours and Tour Dates use that template? And which post edit screen are the fields erroneously appearing on?

The problem happens when you have several Custom Fields Groups and some of these groups are assigned to a Template, while others are assigned to a CPT. The fields from the groups assigned to a template show up on CPTs that do not have this template. this only happens in the 'popup' version which you access through a 'Connection'. regular Add and Edit screens are fine.

So I have:
1. Custom Fields Group 'Home Page Fields', only to be shown when template 'Home Page' is used.
2. Custom Fields Group 'Tour Dates Fields', only to be shown when post type is 'tour-date'.
3. Relationship between CPT 'tour-type' and CPT 'tour-date'
3. When I connect a new Tour Date to a Tour Type through the table at the bottom of the Edit Tour Type screen (see screenshots form first post) I also get the Home Page fields.
4. When I use Quick Edit for a connected Tour Date from the table at the bottom of the Edit Tour Type screen I also get the Home Page fields.
5. When I go to the Edit Tour Date full screen (no popup), I do NOT get the Home Page fields (correct behavior).

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Nigel
Supporter

Thanks for the clarification, I was then able to reproduce the problem.

I've escalated it and the developers will re-examine this to identify a fix.

I'll keep you posted.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi there

Just a quick update to say that I don't have a fix for you right now, but the fix for this will be included in Types 3.3.5 which is due very soon if you want to keep an eye out for it.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi there

The fix requires updates to both Types and Views. The Types fix was released a few weeks ago but the release of Views happened on Friday.

If you have both plugins up-to-date then you should find the issue resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

Problem has been solved in 3.3.5. Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.