Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom field is not parsing html correctly on a particular post entry

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Custom field is not parsing html correctly on a particular post entry

Solution:
User were using the wrong slash to close the HTML tags.

You can find the proposed solution in this case with the following reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/custom-field-is-not-parsing-html-correctly-on-a-particular-post-entry/#post-1245592

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martinE-4 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I am trying to:

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
no html tags in the output
Instead, I got:
looks like every other tag was parsed (ie. first was read and turned it bold, 2nd turned on my italics but the ending tags never were recognized. Just on this post. It has been working fine for several years on previous 176 posts (custom post type=article)

Also, and perhaps another issue so I will file another ticket, this post and any new post that I create is throwing a 403 forbidden error whenever I try to update with the edit post in WordPress. A QUICKEDIT works however. I assume this is not a TOOLSET TYPES caused issue but I currently am stuck with no idea how to fix it. I am not sure if this issue is causing the TYPES plugin to incorrectly parse the HTML here?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

First of all - After checking to debug information you shared with us, I found that you are using outdated Toolset Types plugin. We always recommend running your site with latest stable release plugin version.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
Could you please update ALL Toolset plugins to it's latest officially released version. You can download the latest plugin release from your accounts page:
=> https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

Once you update has been performed, can you please check your server error log and share the error log with me.

Please check Toolset requirements and can you make sure that MBString mobule is enabled on your server.
=> https://toolset.com/toolset-requirements/

You can also enable WP Debug and Debug Log to tell if there is something wrong with PHP errors.
You can add to your wp-config.php:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/debugging-sites-built-with-toolset/#php-debugging

In addition to this, Can you please share few screenshots of the issue as I still do not get whats the original issue here where you need help.

A_Survey_of_the_Preservation_of_Symmetries_by_the_Dual_Gromov-Hausdorff_Propinquity.jpg
Uniqueness_of_the_Index_Map_in_Real_K-theory.jpg

He is a screenshot of the issue: (incorrect parsing of custom field with html)

Also one showing a post which parses it correctly.

Here is the contents of the custom field which is NOT parsing: (at hidden link )

<p>The index map in topological K-theory for real Banach algebra extensions is a natural transformation from the first K-theory of the quotient to the zeroth K-theory of the ideal. We show that any such natural transformation is an integer multiple of the index map.</p><div class="frenchline"></div> <p>L’application index dans la K-théorie des extensions d’algèbres de Banach réelles est une transformation naturelle entre le premier K-groupe de l’algèbre quotient et le zéroième K-groupe de l’idéal. On démontre qu’une telle transformation naturelle doit être un multiple intégral de l’application index.</p>

Here is the contents of the custom field which is parsing CORRECTLY: (at hidden link )

<p>We survey the symmetry preserving properties for the dual propinquity, under natural non-degeneracy and equicontinuity conditions. These properties are best formulated using the notion of the covariant propinquity when the symmetries are encoded via the actions of proper monoids and groups. We explore the issue of convergence of Cauchy sequences for the covariant propinquity, which captures, via a compactness result, the fact that proper monoid actions can pass to the limit for the dual propinquity.</p>
<div class="frenchline"></div> <p>Nous <span>é</span>tudions les propri<span>é</span>t<span>é</span>s de conservation des symm<span>é</span>tries des espaces quantiques pour la proximit<span>é</span> duale, sous des conditions naturelles d’<span>é</span>quicontinuit<span>é</span> et de non d<span>é</span>g<span>é</span>n<span>é</span>rescence. Ces propri<span>é</span>t<span>é</span>s sont exprim<span>é</span>es naturellement dans le language de la proximit<span>é</span> covariante, qui permet de discuter la convergence d’actions de groupes et semigroupes sur les espaces quantiques. Nous explorons le probl<span>è</span>me de la convergence des suites de Cauchy pour la proximit<span>é</span> covariante, qui capture, gr<span>â</span>ce a un th<span>é</span>oreme de compacit<span>é</span>, le fait que les actions de monoides propres passent <span>à</span> la limite pour la proximit<span>é</span> duale.</p>

If you want I can grant you access. the beta site is a staging area for the live site.

Here is the content template I use in the VIEWS plugin (it's been working great for years)

<div class="row-fluid">

<div class="span12">

<div class="customtitle">[wpv-post-title]</div>
    <div class="bordertop"><p class="alignleft">[published_hook]</p>
      <p class="alignright">[types field="published" style="text" format="F j, Y"][/types]</p>
    </div>
    <div style="clear: both;"></div>
    <blockquote>[types field="authors-full-address" separator=""][/types]	 </blockquote> 
    <div><p class="borderline"><b>Abstract/Résumé:</b></p></div>
      [full_text_wpcf]
    <div class="bordertop">
      <b>Keywords: </b>[wpv-post-taxonomy type="keyword" separator=", " format="link" show="name" order="asc"]<br /><b>AMS Subject Classification: </b>
      [wpv-post-taxonomy type="ams-class" separator=", " format="link" show="description" order="asc"]
      [wpv-post-taxonomy type="ams-class" separator=", " format="link" show="name" order="asc"] 
      <div class="bordertopbottom">
      [restrict paid="true"] [/restrict]

<span STYLE="color: green; font-size: 16px; font-family: Helvetica;"><b>PDF</b>(click to download):<span>[types field="pdf-full-text" ][/types]</span></span>

</div>
    </div>
  </div> 
</div>

Note the line 10 is the field in question. (authors-full-address is a repeating custom field. In this instance there is only a single author, one repetition).

MBSTRING is definitely enabled on both mr.math.ca and beta.mr.math.ca

I read this:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/limitations-on-html-content-in-custom-fields/

and verified that yes indeed I have been allowing saving unfiltered HTML in Types custom fields for users with higher roles (admin and editor).

So this can't be the problem.

Minesh
Supporter

Ok - can you please share access details and I will look whats going wrong with your site.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Certain_Properties_of_Tracial_Approximation__{_rm_C^_}_-Algebras.jpg
Articles.jpg

Curiously, a new variation of the problem is showing up on the live mr.math.ca site now.

Entering a new article (custom post) no longer renders the html correctly on the wordpress archive 'article' at:

hidden link

but now renders it correctly on the single page content template at:

hidden link

It's as if the problem is moving around from field to field.

See uploaded screen grabs to see what I mean...

Here is the WordPress Archive code that I have been using in VIEWS (for many years - and it still works for historical posts...)

[wpv-layout-start]<div class="archive-description taxonomy-description" style="position: relative;"><h1 class="archive-title">[title_shortcode_hook]</h1>      [search_number]</div>

[peekaboo onshow="Hide all abstracts" onhide="Show all abstracts" start="hidden"]<br><br>
	[wpv-items-found]
    <!-- wpv-loop-start -->
       <wpv-loop>
         <div class="borderline"></div>
         <div class="bottomofentry"> <em>[wpv-post-link]</em></div>[published_hook]<br><strong>[types field="authors" separator="; "][/types]</strong><span class="dateonline"> ([dateonline])</span>
         <div class="bottomofentry">[wpv-post-body view_template="None"]</div>

</wpv-loop>
	<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
	[/wpv-items-found]
	[wpv-no-items-found]
		[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]<strong>No items found</strong>[/wpml-string]
	[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]

Note: the code contains the peekaboo shortcode which normally works fine. Certainly does for all my other posts! The field in question this time that is not rendering the html is [wpv-post-body] which of course is not a custom field.

My support question began with the html not being parsed in a custom field of a post and now it is not being parsed in the post-body. Seems one or the other works but not at the same time? Weird.

Thanks for looking at this Minesh, I really appreciate it! It's really frustrating to me...

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for sharing access details but unfortunately, wp-admin access details you shared with me is not working at this end.

Can you please send me working wp-admin access details.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Well - I checked few pages on beta site for example:
=> hidden link

But I do not see any issue there.

Can you please share few exact problem URLs where I can see the issue on beta site as well as on live site.

Articles.jpg

Yes of course, sorry.

On beta site:
hidden link
hidden link
(you can see the html codes on these single pages - note the other pages are fine as you saw)

On live site:
hidden link
(please activate the "show abstract" link on the first 3 articles to see the html issue - see image attached...)

many thanks for looking at this!

Minesh
Supporter

Well - the it looks like you use wrong slash to close the HTML tags.

I changed slash to / with closing tags and its working fine.

<b>Ralf Meyer</b><em>Mathematisches Institut, Georg-August Universitaet Goettingen, Bunsenstrasse 3-5, 37073 Goettingen, Germany; email: rmeyer2@uni-goettingen.de</em>

You were using the following code but I changed as above:

<b>Ralf Meyer<\b><em>Mathematisches Institut, Georg-August Universitaet Goettingen, Bunsenstrasse 3-5, 37073 Goettingen, Germany; email: rmeyer2@uni-goettingen.de<\em>

Can you please make sure you are using correct closing tags.

Oops. I'm so embarrassed! Wrong slash!

Is that the case on the live site as well? I guess so:
<p>The index map in topological K-theory for real Banach algebra extensions is a natural transformation from the first K-theory of the quotient to the zeroth K-theory of the ideal. We show that any such natural transformation is an integer multiple of the index map.</p>
<div class="frenchline"><div class="frenchline"></div></div>
<p>L’application index dans la K-théorie des extensions d’algèbres de Banach réelles est une transformation naturelle entre le premier K-groupe de l’algèbre quotient et le zéroième K-groupe de l’idéal. On démontre qu’une telle transformation naturelle doit être un multiple intégral de l’application index.</p>

Sorry I didn't spot this. My editor must be doing something weird for this to suddenly crop up in data entry.

Do you think it happens if pasting into the visual editor?

Minesh
Supporter

I don't think so that editor converts the slashes as its editor and it will respect what text/content you enter into it.

You just need to correct the wrong slashes and your issue will be resolved and I'm glad that I'm able to spot this issue instantly and that will help you to resolve your issue.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.