Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom field group doesn't save

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 6 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi!

I am trying to add a new custom field group, but after hitting save the new field group doesn't actually save. I've already tried changing the max_input_vars to 5000, raising the php memory limit to 512 MB and disabling some plugins i recently activated. Do you maybe have another idea what i can try to get this fixed?

Thanks,

Tim

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Tim

It should be possible to get a more specific idea of what the problem is by looking at the debug logs.

If you haven't already, turn on the debug log by editing your wp-config.php file and change the line with WP_DEBUG like so:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

That will create a debug.log file in your wp-content directory which you can examine in any text editor.

Try saving your Field Group again and then inspect the debug.log.

You should also check your browser console for JS errors, though it sounds less likely to be the issue in this case.

Let me know what you find.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply. This is what i got. I thought the problem was that i'm running PHP 7.2 and the plugin Adrotate didn't support that, but downgrading to PHP 7 or 5.6 dind't solve the problem. Also (temporary) disabling Adrotate didn't work.

A part of the debug log:

[15-Jan-2018 12:26:24 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /public_html/wp-content/plugins/adrotate/adrotate.php on line 56
[15-Jan-2018 12:26:25 UTC] PHP Notice:  Array to string conversion in /public_html/wp-includes/class-requests.php on line 797

Thanks,
Tim

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tim

It's not clear where that PHP Notice is coming from without having a copy of your site and being able to run a stack trace.

Before going any further, you say you tried disabling the adrotate plugin. Could you try the same with all other non-Toolset plugins? That may reveal a conflict between Types and another plugin.

If not, you could also switch theme to twentyseventeen to see if there is a conflict with the theme (not that I would expect it, you are using Generate Press, but please test if the plugin test reveals nothing).

Hi Nigel,

Thanks. I ran a copy of the website locally, and now all the custom field groups i added suddenly show up. I have little experience with this, does this have something to with the setup of my webserver?

Thanks,
Tim

Nigel
Supporter

Possibly, although from your debug info the server settings look adequate.

How did you make a local copy? Can you confirm that the local copy you have installed which is working correctly is an exact copy of the online version?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.