Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Email Notification is not applying

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by andrewC-19 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

I did set up Forgot Password Page and Reset Password Page.

The process is working fine.

Since Toolset uses the native WordPress email notification for the password reset whenever the password reset is requested by the user, I use another plugin 'Notification' to customize the email.

The problem is I still receive the default WordPress email notification whenever I use the Forgot and Reset Password process of Toolset.

Please help me out to figure out the issue. I do not have any clue about the issue.

Thank you

Hello, I'll be glad to help figure this out, but I need a bit more information.
1. Are you saying you receive two notifications now, or you receive one notification but it is not the customized one?
2. Is this the plugin you have installed? https://wordpress.org/plugins/notification/

1. Are you saying you receive two notifications now, or you receive one notification but it is not the customized one?
>>I receive one notification but It is not the customized one.

2. Is this the plugin you have installed? https://wordpress.org/plugins/notification/
>>This is the plugin I installed, however, I tested another one but still act the same. https://wordpress.org/plugins/bnfw/

Hi,

I have found the article from 'Better Notifications for WP' : hidden link

It seems the plugin with toolset is not compatible, and need some configuration. How can I apply this to my Forgot Password and Reset Password page?

Thank you

Hello, the code you shared is designed to help you trigger a notification when someone submits a Toolset Form. Toolset Forms are used to create posts, edit posts, create a new User account or edit an existing User account. That is not exactly the same as the Forgot Password and Reset Password process, so this code will not be triggered for those processes. I don't think it will help with the Forgot Password or Reset Password processes.

Let me run some tests to see if I can make this BNFW plugin work, and I will give you an update shortly.

Thank you for your help 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 11.53.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 11.52.01 AM.png

With Types and Blocks active, I was able to trigger the custom notification for "password changed - for user" when I reset my password using the reset password form created with the wpv-reset-password-form shortcode. I'm attaching a screenshot of the notification page here so you can see my configurations, and a screenshot of the mail that was triggered, as captured by a mail logging plugin.
- Can you attach a screenshot of your notification screen so I can see your notification configurations?
- Are you testing with other plugins active? Please deactivate all plugins except BNFW, Types, and Blocks or Views, activate a default theme like Twenty Twenty, then test again.

Untitled.png

Performing the following tests makes users still receive default WordPress email:

1. Deactivated all the plugins except Toolset View, Toolset Types, BNFW, and WP SMTP
2. Deactivated all the plugins except Toolset block, Toolset Types, BNFW, and WP SMTP
3. Deactivated all the plugins except Toolset View, Toolset Types, BNFW, and WP SMTP, and set 'Notification Disabled' on BNFW setting.
4. Deactivated all the plugins except Toolset Block, Toolset Types, BNFW, and WP SMTP, and set 'Notification Disabled' on BNFW setting.

Performing the following tests makes user receive the BNFW custom email:

1. Only deactivated all the toolsets plugin, and request password reset from default WordPress login pages.
2. Activated all the plugins including toolsets, and request password reset from default WordPress login pages, but not from Toolset Forgot Password Page.

After performing several tests, I could conclude that requesting a reset password from the default WordPress login gives the right BNFW custom email to the users.

However, any password reset request through the toolset page prevents BNFW to trigger the custom email.

Okay thanks for the screenshot. I see you are testing the notification "User Lost Password - for User". I did not try that one, I only tried "Password changed - for User". I will set up this notification and run another test. Please stand by and I will update you with the results.

Always appreciated the great tools and support!

Okay there are two notifications to consider here, and two different forms. In either case, the notification must be "enabled" to trigger the BNFW notification.

In my local test, I have the following shortcode in my "Forgot Password" page:

[wpv-forgot-password-form reset_password_url="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"]

If I submit my email address and click "Get New Password" here I get the "User Lost Password - for User" notification. This happens before I reset the password.

In my local test, I have the following shortcode set up in my "Reset Password" page:

[wpv-reset-password-form redirect_url="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"]

If I submit this Form with my new password, I get the "Password Changed - for User" notification.

Both trigger BNFW notifications on my site. Depending on which form you are testing, you should receive different notifications. I'm not clear from your information so far if you have both notifications set up, and I'm not clear which form you were testing.
- Can you share the shortcodes you have in your Forgot Password page and your Reset Password page?
- Which page were you testing?
- Do you have the "Password Changed - for User" notification set up in BNFW, or only the "User Lost Password - for User" notification?

- Can you share the shortcodes you have in your Forgot Password page and your Reset Password page?
>> Shortcode is exactly the same as yours except for the URL.

- Which page were you testing?
>> It is reset password page, but currently disabled for several different tests.

- Do you have the "Password Changed - for User" notification set up in BNFW, or only the "User Lost Password - for User" notification?
>> I do not have or tested Password Changed - for User, but only the User Lost Password - for User.

I reached out to BNFW support, and they said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BNFW replies:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve seen this on other plugin recently too – namely Profile Builder.

In Profile Builder, it was essential to enable the notification within PB in order for the notification in BNFW to be able to override it. Otherwise, when set to false, they disable the email from the password reset/lost form completely and so BNFW can’t then override it at all.

Is there a way to enable the notification within Toolset?

>> It is reset password page, but currently disabled for several different tests.
>> I do not have or tested Password Changed - for User, but only the User Lost Password - for User.

Right, this is why you didn't see the BNFW User Lost Password notification. The Reset password page triggers the "Password Changed - for User" notification. It does not trigger the User Lost Password notification.

To trigger the User Lost Password notification, you should test from the Forgot Password page, not the Reset Password page. They are different forms, and they trigger different notifications. I think you were just confused about which form triggers which notification. See my notes above.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.