Skip Navigation

[Resolved] CRED questions

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by WeiS2074 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Hi,

Based on my below function, I have some questions.
1. I have an edit form,

2. Is $_POST a wordpress global variable? If yes, why sometimes it needs to declare global $post before we use?

3. what is difference between $_POST and $post ?

4. what is difference between $form_data and $_Post?
My guess is that $form_data is the data haven't been saved into DB, it hasn't submit yet. However $_Post is saved.

5. Does any parameter passing to function are global variable? For example the parameters from below function.

6. How do I get the post id in below function? I tried $form_data['container_id'], get_post_id(), and they don't work.

7. what is the best way to see the value of the field while develop and debug?

function func_validate_custom_field($error_fields, $form_data){
//field data are field values and errors
list($fields,$errors)=$error_fields;

if ($form_data['id']==129 || $form_data['id']==310){
$args = array(
'meta_query' => array(
array('key' => 'wpcf-cf-url',
'value' => trim($_POST['wpcf-cf-url'])
)),
'post_type' => 'unwrap',
'posts_per_page' => -1
);
$posts = get_posts($args);

if (count($posts) > 0){
$ori_posts_id = $posts[0]->ID;

$ori_url = get_permalink( $ori_posts_id );
//set error message for my_field
$click_url = '<a href="'.$ori_url .'"> Click Me </a>';
$errors['wpcf-cf-url']= 'This wine has been posted. Go to the page. ' .$click_url ;
}
}

return array($fields,$errors);
}
add_filter('cred_form_validate','func_validate_custom_field',10,2);

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

As per our support policy, we entertain only one question per ticket but I will try to answer all your questions here and kindly make sure to open a new ticket for your every new question you may have.

1. I have an edit form,
=>
OK

2. Is $_POST a wordpress global variable? If yes, why sometimes it needs to declare global $post before we use?
=>
You need to learn PHP.

$_POST is a superglobal variable of PHP. Please check the following:
- hidden link

$post is a global variable for WordPress:
- https://codex.wordpress.org/Global_Variables

3. what is difference between $_POST and $post ?
=>
As shared information in #2, $_POST is superglobal variable from PHP and $post belongs to WordPress.

4. what is difference betweec
My guess is that $form_data is the data haven't been saved into DB, it hasn't submit yet. However $_Post is saved.
=>
$form_data is the 2nd argument passed to the hook "cred_form_validate" which is build on top using $_Post. The form data is not submitted yet when you are using hook "cred_form_validate" with hook "cred_form_validate".

5. Does any parameter passing to function are global variable? For example the parameters from below function.
=>
No.

6. How do I get the post id in below function? I tried $form_data['container_id'], get_post_id(), and they don't work.
=>
What Post ID you would like to get? the ID of current post/page where you added your form?

7. what is the best way to see the value of the field while develop and debug?
=>
Please check the following links:
- hidden link

You can even use the var_dump(), for example:

var_dump($your_variable);
exit;

5. Actually I saw many wordpress example, they just pass parameter into the function. What value do they pass in? or those parameter are name specified, for example $form_data is the current form data.
function func_validate_custom_field($error_fields, $form_data)

6. What Post ID you would like to get? the ID of current post/page where you added your form?
yes, I use get_the_id(), it works, does it has other way to fetch the current post id(base on my function example?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

5. Actually I saw many wordpress example, they just pass parameter into the function. What value do they pass in? or those parameter are name specified, for example $form_data is the current form data.
function func_validate_custom_field($error_fields, $form_data)
==>
those parameters are depends what you pass to your filter or action hook function. You can check the full filter hook information with the following doc link:
- https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/cred-api/#cred_form_validate

6. What Post ID you would like to get? the ID of current post/page where you added your form?
yes, I use get_the_id(), it works, does it has other way to fetch the current post id(base on my function example?
==>
To get the current post ID within the "cred_form_validate" hook function, you can use:

global $post;
$current_post_id = $post->ID;

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.