Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Creating taxonomy Archives page with Divi theme with two sidebars

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by francescoG-3 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

How can I set up the taxonomy Archives page?

So, here I have created a CPT Archive, and it works fine...
hidden link

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for waiting.

During troubleshooting, I noticed that the following line in the custom CSS code of view "Lista Eventi con Ricerca per Categorie", is breaking the archive page's layout ( hidden link ).

.paginazione {display: flex; -webkit-flex-flow: column wrap; transition: 300ms ease 0ms;}

( screenshot: hidden link )

Removing this line makes the results visible.

Before: hidden link
After: hidden link

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,
thank you for your reply.
Removing the CSS line solves the issue to display the search results but it does not solve all issues.
And I don't know why in the Categories Archive page the CSS line code does the issue because here it works fine: hidden link

Following, other issues that I have:
1 - the Post Slider is displayed not correctly on the Category Archive page, here works fine: hidden link
2 - the Custom Search form should have a white background with padding 1rem and box-shadow
Instead, I have this... hidden link

I think that Toolset has some bugs to solve with the Archives code.

3 - in the specific Category Archive page the custom search the category select form display all categories list, but I have added a query filter where the search results should be like the current category archive page, and then the categories in the select form should be selected only the category of the current category archive page. And also the results are not related to the current category archive page, but it shows all categories posts...

Hi Waqar,
I have tried to use the WordPress Author Editor, adding my custom code in the Output Editor.
Well, I have added three columns.
In the first column, I have added the Content Template shortcode of the left sidebar.
In the second column, I have added the Content Template shortcode of the Posts Slider.
In the third column, I have added the Content Template shortcode of the right sidebar.

Then, I can display all three columns, but the first and the third there are no contents... And in the second column, I can display the posts slider, but the pagination doesn't take the CSS Styling... And the Custom Search form works fine.

Now, I will try to customize the category.php file...

I have customized the category.php file, but I have the same result using the WordPress Author Editor...

Hi Waqar,
Have you something news for me?

Waqar
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for waiting and I apologize for the delay in getting back on this.

> And I don't know why in the Categories Archive page the CSS line code
> does the issue because here it works fine:
> hidden link

- Since this involves the custom CSS code styles and not the plugin's built-in styles, I'm afraid, it won't be possible for us to troubleshoot/audit it line-by-line.

But you can compare the custom CSS code included in the views and content templates of both these archives, to narrow down to differences.

Note: To check which CSS code is applying to different page elements, you can use Google Chrome's inspect element tool, as explained in this guide:
hidden link

> 1 - the Post Slider is displayed not correctly on the Category Archive page,
> here works fine: hidden link

- I can see the slider on the category archive page ( hidden link ), but there are 54 script-related errors shown in the browser's console as well.

Any of these errors could affect the dynamic elements on the page, including the slider, so the first step should be to fix those errors.
( ref: https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/ )

> 2 - the Custom Search form should have a white background with padding 1rem and box-shadow
> Instead, I have this... hidden link

- On your author archive page ( hidden link ), the search form styles with the white background are coming from the view "Lista Eventi con Ricerca per Profilo Autore".

But I couldn't find the same styles loaded on the category archive page ( hidden link ).

Please make sure that the necessary styles are included in the archive pages.

> 3 - in the specific Category Archive page the custom search the category select form
> display all categories list, but I have added a query filter where the search results should
> be like the current category archive page, and then the categories in the select form should
> be selected only the category of the current category archive page. And also the results are
> not related to the current category archive page, but it shows all categories posts...

- I've checked the Toolset content templates and WordPress Archives but couldn't find the one assigned to a specific category/taxonomy term.

There is just one content template "Singola Pagina Categoria ok block", assigned to all "Categories" terms.

It is important to remember here that you're not using a loop of posts through Toolset WordPress Archive here. Instead, you've just assigned a toolset content template to a WordPress Archive, when the loop is being controlled through the active theme.

Also, the search form that is shown is coming from a post view and not from a WordPress Archive view.

I feel the right approach in the case would be to use Toolset's WordPress Archives (and not just the content template) and consult Divi theme's documentation or support team, to learn how a new "Sidebar Content Sidebar" layout can be registered.

Once this new layout is available through the theme, it should appear in the WordPress Archive block's settings.

For future reference, please note that as per our support policy ( https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/ ), only one question or issue can be addressed through a single ticket.

You're welcome to open a new ticket for each new question or concern.

regards,
Waqar

Sorry Waqar,
but I think that you don't have understood what I need and what is my question.

All CSS codes are identical to all custom search form but assigned the Custom Template to Categories Toolset don't read some CSS code line. I have done all the tests that you have written. And then I have opened this ticket...

Here the link to see and activate the Archive WordPress to test and see what happened using that: hidden link

Waqar
Supporter

I'm sorry if you feel there is some misunderstanding. But I've replied after thoroughly reading all your messages, a couple of times.

Since we've been discussing multiple points in this ticket, it would help if you could specify exactly which point are you referring to and we can work together to resolve that misunderstanding.

> All CSS codes are identical to all custom search form but assigned the Custom Template to Categories Toolset don't read some CSS code line. I have done all the tests that you have written. And then I have opened this ticket...

- During further troubleshooting, I noticed some incorrect/incomplete CSS code in the view "Località eventi".

Removing that should fix the issue due to which some of the CSS styles on the page are not applying.
( this is why I earlier suggested checking all the custom CSS code included in the involved views and content templates )

> Here the link to see and activate the Archive WordPress to test and see what happened using that: hidden link

- Can you please activate this WordPress Archive for the desired archive page and let me have its link?

About This:
All CSS codes are identical to all custom search form but assigned the Custom Template to Categories Toolset don't read some CSS code line. I have done all the tests that you have written. And then I have opened this ticket...

- During further troubleshooting, I noticed some incorrect/incomplete CSS code in the view "Località eventi".

So, I don't have added that line of CSS code... After every ticket I have opened, I find some extra code that generates little code conflicts... I think that one of your colleagues does that after the ticket is closed...
Than deleting that line of CSS code, I have seen that the custom search inside the Content Template applied to Category, is displayed correctly now, but not the pagination of post slider in the header.

Can you please activate this WordPress Archive for the desired archive page and let me have its link?
Well, now I have activated the WordPress Archive and assigned it to the Category (now is not visible the Content Template assigned), and you can see what happened, the two sidebars are not visible, and the posts slider pagination in the header has the same issue that is present using the content template...
Here the link of the category that using the WordPress Archive: hidden link

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

1. WordPress Archive: "Categorie Eventi":

Ok, here is what is happening. In the "Theme Options" section, "Layout" is set to "Use Theme Settings".

And in the theme settings, the "Right Sidebar" option is set.

Based on these settings, the archive page ( hidden link ) is showing correctly in the "Content Sidebar" layout (i.e. sidebar at the right of content).

The right sidebar is not showing on the front-end and the content area is filling full-width because of custom CSS code included in the theme's options.

So, I'll repeat that the main issue or limitation here is that your Divi theme doesn't support the Two sidebar layout and you should consult its documentation or support team, to learn how a new layout can be registered with two sidebars.

Once the theme has this layout or you have switched to a different theme with such layout, you can reconstruct the WordPress archive view so that it only controls the middle content section, while the sidebar's content is controlled through the theme.

As for why the content template shortcodes ( [wpv-post-body view_template="sidebar-sinistra-globale" suppress_filters="true"] & [wpv-post-body view_template="sidebar-destra-evento-for" suppress_filters="true"] ) are not showing any content in the virtual sidebar containers in "Categorie Eventi" WordPress Archive, that is a known limitation/issue:
https://toolset.com/errata/content-template-is-not-rendered-if-added-outside-the-archive-loop-of-a-view/

As there is not single post information is available, outside the loop tags in WordPress Archives, the content template shortcode ( wpv-post-body ) only works if placed between "<wpv-loop> ... </wpv-loop>" tags.

2. Content template: "Singola Pagina Categoria ok block":

When I disabled the WordPress Archive: "Categorie Eventi" and content template "Singola Pagina Categoria ok block" is in use, this is how the slider's navigation is showing:
Screenshot: hidden link

I don't see how it is different from the slider's navigation on the homepage.

Hi Waqar,
thanks for your reply.
So, the two columns that I call "sidebars" are not standard sidebars but only two columns layout built with Content Template that I use like sidebars... Then, I know that Divi doesn't support two sidebars, and to build all site templates I have used the Toolset Content Template with Blocks Editor. I use the Divi Theme only to manage the Header and the Footer, and to use some Divi Modules inside the Content Template.

This was the information that I needed:
As for why the content template shortcodes ( [wpv-post-body view_template="sidebar-sinistra-globale" suppress_filters="true"] & [wpv-post-body view_template="sidebar-destra-evento-for" suppress_filters="true"] ) are not showing any content in the virtual sidebar containers in "Categorie Eventi" WordPress Archive, that is a known limitation/issue:
https://toolset.com/errata/content-template-is-not-rendered-if-added-outside-the-archive-loop-of-a-view/

As there is not single post information is available, outside the loop tags in WordPress Archives, the content template shortcode ( wpv-post-body ) only works if placed between "<wpv-loop> ... </wpv-loop>" tags.

Then, assumed that I will no longer use the WordPress Archives for this limitation, I think that I have two solutions:
1 - To create a dedicated Content Template for every single category in Category Taxonomy and assigned to it.
2 - To create a dedicated Content Template for every single category in Category Taxonomy, to create a page for every single category in Category Taxonomy, make a 301 redirection from the single category in Category Taxonomy to the related page, and assign every Content Template to related page.

For the posts slider, I think that I have found a solution. Last night I have worked on it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.