Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Creating a user hierarchy

This support ticket is created 6 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 6 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi,

We have a LMS site with students and instructors. Instructors can see and modify their courses, but also see and manage their students...

We've been asked something similar: create a "coach" category that, unlike instructors, wouldn't manage courses, BUT could coach few students to suggest them some courses, see their evolution (already in the theme) and of course their students' details...

I thought it would be fairly easy with Toolset, but finally it's not as easy as I thought... I created a post type "Coach", but can't add users to it... I could just create a user type "Coach" with Access, but how could they manage (and see) the students that they follow/coach, follow their progress, etc...?

Is that something possible with Toolset? Don't know if I should start from scratch or just take the already existing Instructors category and modify it (P.S. it wasn't created by Toolset, but was already implemented in the theme)...

Dear Nelson,

There isn't exited similar system within Toolset, you will need to setup it from scratch, here are my suggestions:
1) You can setup three custom post types "coach", "Student", the post author is different wordpress user
So each user can manage their own "coach" or "Student" post with Access plugin:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/setting-access-control/

2) Setup many-to-many relationship between post types "coach" and "Student"
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/many-to-many-post-relationship/
Then you will be able to relate each "coach" post to other "Student" posts

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.