Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Creating a CRM with toolset to help with project management

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martinE-4 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I’m looking at creating a CRM with toolset:
- contacts with addresses and other custom fields
- I have specific activity types to assign to contacts
- I want to manage the contact activity assignments- schedule a start/end and register a completed activity (custom status field)
- Different activity types will have different custom fields:
- (eg a document upload activity will have a PDF attached,
- another contract signing activity will have fields which should be used in a merge with text to create an on-screen document which could be printed from the screen
- Another payment activity will contain details about a payment to be made to a contact )
- When a project is started with a contact, they will sign on and click a consent button which will begin a process of creating various activities (the most complex process would be agreeing to a contract displayed with merge fields on the screen, which would generate a completed activity that they had consented on that date, another scheduled activity that they would be paid on a certain date, and another scheduled activity to review the progress of the project at a future date. Also a copy of the agreement with the custom merge fields should be emailed to the contact.
- I want to generate reports by searching on activities and email them to assigned contacts (eg list of scheduled activities, or a list of activities which might represent payments).

Any suggestions for the design of this would be helpful. Many thanks!

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

As you already know that there is no such built-in feature to generate the such pdf/doc which will merge all your activity and allow you to print it.

The whole scope might need custom programming at many points which you will require to handle. You need to identity first and analyse the scope first by checking what things you can do with Toolset and what will require custom programming or you might need to use different plugin.

However, I'm sharing my thoughts on your scope how you can manage which falls under Toolset:
- contacts with addresses and other custom fields
- I have specific activity types to assign to contacts
- I want to manage the contact activity assignments- schedule a start/end and register a completed activity (custom status field)
- Different activity types will have different custom fields:
- (eg a document upload activity will have a PDF attached,
- another contract signing activity will have fields which should be used in a merge with text to create an on-screen document which could be printed from the screen
- Another payment activity will contain details about a payment to be made to a contact )
======>
There are multiple possibilities how you want to handle the above scope but I am sharing my idea as following. Here is the structure you should setup from admin. By following scenario - you will have to create one post for each activity type.

- you should create a CTP "Contacts" that holds the contact information.
- you should create CPT "Activity" that holds the activity information. With this "Activity" CPT you should create select custom field "Activity Types" that holds the options for different activity types.
- Then, you can create your required different custom field groups that holds the different custom fields as per your activity types and you can use post conditional display feature to display the custom field group based on the selection of option from "Activity Types" field.
- To establish relationship between CPT "Contacts"and "Activity", you should use our post relationship feature.
https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/custom-content/types-custom-fields-conditional-display/#simple-conditional-fields-logic
[Please check the image with "Post Field Conditional Display"]

- When a project is started with a contact, they will sign on and click a consent button which will begin a process of creating various activities (the most complex process would be agreeing to a contract displayed with merge fields on the screen, which would generate a completed activity that they had consented on that date, another scheduled activity that they would be paid on a certain date, and another scheduled activity to review the progress of the project at a future date. Also a copy of the agreement with the custom merge fields should be emailed to the contact.
- I want to generate reports by searching on activities and email them to assigned contacts (eg list of scheduled activities, or a list of activities which might represent payments).
======>
I am not sure how you want to handle this.

Do you want to handle this like a wizard where user can fill out activity information step by step. If this is correct?
- You should create a Toolset form for each of your activity type as well as create new page for each activity type and add the related activity form to respective activity page.
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/forms-for-creating-content/

Later you can use the Toolset form's hook to redirect the user to another activity page:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/cred-api/#cred_success_redirect

======>
Obviously, you can use views to build custom search but as you know views can filter the results and display the content in your predefined format. You can not send email using views. You can send email notification using forms.

I strongly suggest, you should divide your whole scope into smaller modules and do feasibility study by checking whats possible with Toolset and for what features you will require custom programming or third party plugin.

Please let me know if you need further help on this.

Thank you! I will take your advice and break my problem down to do a feasibility study further.

It looks like I can send the link to an uploaded file in a forms notification email so that would be useful.

Also, I can create a view with fields merged in to text (using the Field and text block or the html block) which will allow me to have the user print the screen and create their own report so that would be useful too.

To generate a pdf, this ticket suggests an approach:
Genrate a PDF - Toolset: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/genrate-a-pdf/
put merge text in a custom field and export with plugin WP Advanced PDF

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.