Skip Navigation

[Resolved] create custom archive for Post Category: Newsletters

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I simply want to create archive template for Post Category: Newsletters. I don't have Custom Post Type nor Custom fields. The tutorial shows Custom Post Type, but I do not see how to create Archive template without custom post type.

You can create a Custom WordPress Archives when Toolset Views or Blocks is installed at least.
You will be able to create those archives for predetermined archives of your theme/WordPress such as the homepage or author archives, but also for native and custom taxonomies or post types.

Fields cannot have an archive.

To create an archive, you can follow these guides, depending on which you want to create an archive for:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/custom-archives/

Unfortunately this answer is not to my question. So I searched online for info regarding my specific question, and found this.

May 16, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Christian Cox, Supporter
Hi, it's not possible to apply different WordPress Archives to different terms in a single taxonomy, unfortunately. For example, if you have categories "Blog" and "Events", then both of these term archives must share the same WordPress Archive. However, if you have taxonomies "Categories" and "Locations" then you could use separate WordPress Archives for each taxonomy.

This is the answer to my question, i.e. "create archive template for Post Category: Newsletters". So I suppose my new question is - is this still correct? or am I missing some feature added to your product since 2017.

It appears from Christian's response that I might create a new taxonomy, say "Newsletters" and create an archive for that post type. Or maybe I should just create a new Custom Post Type and create an archive for that. What do you think?

Thank you. Ed

I apologise to have misunderstood your question.

That's correct, Toolset cannot create Archives for single terms.
You can create Custom PHP templates for those, though, using the WordPress template hierarchy:
https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/#custom-taxonomies
For example, a file named category-test.php, will replace the archive for the taxonomy "Category" term "Test".

This would be the only way to have a template for that single term archive.

I suggest submitting a feature request to Toolset's Product Management if you wish to design sub-archives in Toolset itself:
https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.