Skip Navigation

[Resolved] create a form that outputs a list ( cv)

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author
Screenshot at Jul 20 00-19-05.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I want to build a form for a curriculum vitae - view as a list
users should be able to add as many rows as they need

some fields should use categories as a dropdown to choose from ( as it makes it a lot easier)

users should be able to edit and delete their input ( would be nice not only the input but also the whole row, if they want)

I know, it will not be possible with RFGs, as they do not use categories,
but so far I am unable to think in another way to get this working

Is there any documentation that you are following?
no

Is there a similar example that we can see?

i add a cv-screenshot, so you get an idea how the result should look

What is the link to your site?

schpinn.at ( still in the maintenance mode)

greets, Eva

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Eva,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

For what you're planning, it would be best to use two custom post types, joined through a post-relationship.

1. Post Types:
- CVs
This post type will hold all individual CVs created by the users.

- CV Records
This post type will hold all individual records items for each CV.

The common custom fields like contact information etc will be saved with "CVs" post type, whereas custom fields and taxonomies related to an individual record, will be saved with the "CV Records" post type.

2. Post relationship:

- CVs -> CV Records
You'll create a "one-to-many" relationship between the "CVs" and the "CV Records", as one CV can have many CV records.
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/ )

3. Front-end Forms:

- You'll need one form to add a new "CVs" post and another one to edit the existing ones.
- Likewise, you'll need one form to add a new "CV Records" and another one to edit the existing ones.

Once, you have the information saved in this structure correctly, you can show all the related "CV Records" on its single "CVs" post page, using a post view.
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-display-related-posts-with-toolset/ )

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Dear Waqar

thank you for you fast reply...

this is an interesting way

but i am still stuck

I do NOT get HOW to do this part:

custom fields and taxonomies related to an individual record, will be saved with the "CV Records" post type.

Cause my question is:
I want the user to see what he or she fills in
I want the user to edit and/ or delete whats he/she fills in
I do not want the user to get access to the backend
Cause RFGs do not use categories ?

Does this mean, for each row of the finished cv they have to fill out a new form?

ROW 1: year - theatre - play - author - director- role -> create | edit | delete -> 3 forms -> forwarding and backwarding
ROW2: year - theatre - play - author - director- role -> create | edit | delete -> 3 forms -> forwarding and backwarding
ROW3: year - theatre - play - author - director- role -> create | edit | delete -> 3 forms -> forwarding and backwarding

isn't that completely laborius and unelegant for the user?

but this solution looks crazy, users have more than 20 rows in their cvs normally

sorry for asking again,
eva

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Eva,

Thanks for writing back.

An important point to remember here is that the way Toolset's front-end forms work by default, each form can be used to either add or edit a single post, at a time (and can't be used to add/edit them in bulk).

This means, that it doesn't matter if you go with the RFG approach or with the post-relationship approach from my last message, a user will have to use two separate forms; the first one to add a new CV post and the second one to add its records. And each record will need to be added or edited, using a separate form submission and not all at once.

In light of the above points, here are the answers to your specific questions:

> I want the user to see what he or she fills in
- The user will be able to see the information that he/she fills in, as it will be saved in the database.

> I want the user to edit and/ or delete whats he/she fills in
- Using the edit forms, the user will be able to edit the information that he/she has previously filled in.

> I do not want the user to get access to the backend
- Yes, as we're discussing the use of front-end Toolset Forms, users will be able to add/edit CV details, through front-end, without requiring the back-end access.

> Cause RFGs do not use categories ?
- Your understanding is correct and since taxonomies/categories can't be used with the RFGs, I suggested the alternative approach of using two separate custom post types and joining them through post relationships, in my last message.

If you're willing to explore my suggested approach in more depth, I can create a rough demo set up on my test website and share it with you, so that you can see how it will look and function, for the users.

regards,
Waqar

Dear Waqar!
OMG it would be great to get an example

thank you far all your patience
ad sorry for my weak understanding

so I do ask for the help of an example. Thank you so much for this opportunity!

Regrads, Eva

I hope I was not missunderstanding...

waiting for your example ....

there is an urgent question I have

"> I want the user to see what he or she fills in
- The user will be able to see the information that he/she fills in, as it will be saved in the database."

yes it is stored, but is the user able to see immediately, what he/she was filling in...
and after that
in right the same place, on the same page able to edit what was stored( filled in/out ) just seconds ago...

I ask for all in one place on one page...

after filling in, seeing what was written and edit just afterwards

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Eva,

Thank you for waiting and I apologize for the delay in getting back on this.

I had some unusually busy forum queue before the weekend, but the example/demo setup should be ready to be shared by the end of the day today.

> I ask for all in one place on one page...
> after filling in, seeing what was written and edit just afterwards

- Yes, the form to edit the content and view to show that entered content can be made to exist, all on one page.

I'll share more specific details once this demo is ready and thank you for your patience.

regards,
Waqar

Dear Waqar,

thank you for coming back

I will keep patently waiting

thank you so much not forgetting about

I will prepare all things needed to learn this step in between 🙂

beast regards, Eva

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Eva,

Thank you for waiting and you can the demo website at:
hidden link

I'll share the admin access details in the next private message and after logging in you'll see all the CVs created by the logged in user and the form to add new CV on the homepage:
hidden link

From this dashboard, a user can view, edit, or delete his existing CVs too.

Note: the purpose of this rough demo website is only to give you an idea of the add and edit form functionality and how related posts can be shown through views. On your actual website, you can add the design or layout as needed.

I've installed the Duplicator plugin on the website too and have create a duplicator package, in case you'd like to download the clone and install it on your own website.

I hope this helps and please let me know if any segment or step is not clear.

regards,
Waqar

Dear Waqar,
thank you for your great example...

i have to go through it now step by step

i would never have been able to create such a table without your help
nor would i have come to the solution to use categories in one line with the forms-fields
brilliant

could you do a tutorial for all the others also?
cause i wouldn't get on the path using child-posts and not rfgs

brilliant

thank you so much!
such a graet help!

i am deeply thankfull!

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

please do not delete your example, i am currently not able to get it into my installation?
sorry

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for the update and I'm so glad that this demo website proved useful.

I can keep it online for the next few weeks and feel free to let me know through this ticket, once it's no longer needed.

You're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved and start a new one for each new question or concern - we're here to help!

thank you so much, for letting me work with this example
i will answer, when I am through with everything

can we leave the case open? so I can contact you ?

best regards, eva

Waqar
Supporter

This ticket will stay open for the next two weeks.

And even if it is closed, you can start a new ticket and include a link to this ticket and we'll know that it is the continuation of this conversation.
( my colleagues will pass it on to me so that I can follow-up )

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.