Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Create a category jump menu

This support ticket is created 8 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 8 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I need to place a select menu on homepage, containing terms from a custom taxonomy. Upon selected, user will be directed to the term archive page, eg:
hidden link

Can this be done using Views? If possible , would appreciate a quick walkthrough on the steps. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

With Views you can create Parametric Searches and there also you have a "Select" Option for as example your Taxonomies.

You can find this in the Filter Editor of your View.

Once you created this Filter / View, insert it wherever you want, and separate the View when inserting it.

That means, when you use the Wizard to insert the View it will ask you whether to display the entire View, Parametric Search Filter only or Results only.

Choose to display the Parametric Search Filter only.

A results page can be chose later on.

This will display results, of a certain Term, on another page, but ONLY on another page.

You can not link to a ARCHIVE with this.

For that you need a link like the one created with the shortcode [wpv-post-taxonomy type="your_tax"]
https://toolset.com/documentation/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-taxonomy

Please let me know if you need further infos about this.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks Beda, I have tried using Parametric Search but it means I will have to create separate results page, when all I needed is to simply direct users to individual category archive, eg
hidden link
hidden link

I will try look up for solutions else where. But do share if you happen to know where I can find the answers.

Thanks for the Details

The problem is, usually a select Field is not holding a link to, but let's you select something and (in Views) it will update a certain result

What you can do is either create simple Links to your Archives, with as example a "<a href"> element or a button, or, if you need a Select Field holing links, using Custom Code.

As example, you can construct a Select Field with links as the below:

<select onChange="window.location.href=this.value">
    <option value="URL here">A</option>
    <option value="URL here">B</option>
</select>

This can not be done with the Views parametric search select option, as this is programmed to update a search result

But you can do it in HTML using as example a Visual Editor in Layouts, or directly in your Site's Header or wherever you put your "menu".

You can also populate that "Select Menu" using a Taxonomy View and inserting in the Loop output something similar to this:

<select onChange="window.location.href=this.value">
  <wpv-loop>
    <option value="[wpv-taxonomy-url]">[wpv-taxonomy-title]</option>
  </wpv-loop>
</select>

Please let me know if you need further infos about this.

Thank you for your patience.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.