Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to only show custom field values that are applied to posts in a search filter

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
A select custom field lists all countries as options, but only some of these have been applied to posts. When creating a search View how to only include those countries in the filter dropdown which have been assigned to posts.

Solution:
In the Custom Search Settings select "Let me choose settings manually" and then choose "Show only available options for each input".

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martinE-4 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to:
Create a parametric search on my custom field 'country' (not a taxonomy) and the pull-down field is revealing all the countries in the world.
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
offline sorry local
I expected to see:
Just the countries that were entered in the approximately 200 posts that I have. (maybe half a dozen or so)
Instead I got:
All the countries in the world.

Note:
This is a migration from Drupal to WordPress so the FG migration plugin automatically created a custom field in TYPES for country rather than a taxonomy which probably would have fixed this problem. However, since all my content has been imported from Drupal in this way, I don't know if it would be possible to switch my country custom field to a taxonomy.

Is there any way of just showing the countries that exist in my custom post type entries instead of the entire world?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 12.45.03.png

Hi Martin

There is a setting in your View which will limit the options to only those applied to posts, see the screenshot.

In WordPress taxonomies are optimised for queries in a way that custom fields are not, but you are only likely to notice the difference on large sites with thousands of posts being queried.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.