Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Copy / Update posts of custom post type with custom fields in multisite network

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hey there, I am using your Toolset for a Multisite.

First question, do I have to upgrade to unlimited sites to use Toolset in a Multisite Network with 4 sites?

Second question, the websites have to be able to copy a newly created post of a custom post type to other sites inside the multisite network including the custom fields, is that possible with this plugin: hidden link

Or how can I achieve this?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

> First question, do I have to upgrade to unlimited sites to use Toolset in a Multisite Network with 4 sites?

- You don't need to upgrade to unlimited sites and use multiple keys to register each site separately in a Multisite Network.

You can network-activate Toolset and register it for the whole network using a single site key:
https://toolset.com/faq/how-to-install-and-register-toolset/#registering-toolset-on-a-multisite

> Second question, the websites have to be able to copy a newly created post of a custom post type to other sites inside the multisite network including the custom fields, is that possible with this plugin: hidden link

- The Toolset plugins don't include any built-in feature to copy/sync posts and custom fields data across the Multisite Network. For this, you'll need a third-party plugin like the one you referred to.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 12.41.47.png

I already installed the 3rd party plugin to copy the posts of a custom post type to another site in the network, but when trying to enable it for my custom post types, it doesnt show them, but instead it shows some Toolset names. Can you maybe help me out here? See screenshot. Even when enabling these, it does not enable the multisite copier for those posts...

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

Can you please share temporary admin login details so that I can see how these custom post types are set up?

Please also share information about the post types and sites in the network, where they're not available.

Note: Your next reply will be private and please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the admin access and I apologize for the delay in getting back on this.

During testing with the free version of the "WordPress Multisite Content Copier/Updater" plugin on my test website, I noticed that it only supports WordPress built-in post types.

If you're using the Pro version of the plugin it should support the custom post types too and you can get in touch with the plugin's support team, to learn about the requirements or steps on how custom post types can be used.

Note: In your multisite network, I noticed that the custom post types have been registered/defined only in one of the sites ( "Wetzlar Grashüpfer Magazin" ). If the plugin author informs that the custom post types need to be registered/defined in all of the sites before they can be used by the plugin, you can use the modules manager plugin to copy custom post types and custom fields from one site to another:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/using-toolset-module-manager/

Hey there, thanks for your reply.

I created the post types on the "Wetzlar Grashüpfer Magazin" and cloned that website. Why arent the Custom Post Types registered with each website then? And how should I change that then? I want to also copy all posts from that website and not to create new posts on every website...
Do you think that could be the problem that the other plugin is not working? I mean for some reason the plugin is not able to show the custom post type names but instead shows some Toolset things, that are not the custom post type :/ Do you maybe have another workaround on how to copy a new post from one site to other sites?

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back and I apologize for the delay in getting back on this.

Let's split the challenges that you have in two parts:

1. Copying custom post types from Toolset Types from one site in the network to another:

- Since each site in the network is available as an independent website, Toolset doesn't automatically extend a post type created in one site to all network sites.

I'm not sure how you cloned your "Wetzlar Grashüpfer Magazin" site, but during testing on my own website, I used the "NS Cloner – Site Copier" plugin ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/ns-cloner-site-copier/ ) and it successfully cloned a new site in the network, keeping the custom post types created by Toolset Types.

2. Copying content/posts in those post types from one site in the network to another

- In order to copy/sync the posts and custom fields in different custom post types across the network, you'll need a plugin like "WordPress Multisite Content Copier/Updater", as we've previously discussed.

And, the best way to learn about that plugin's features and limitations would be to get in touch with its official support team.

For even more ideas and alternatives around a similar plugin or custom code, you can also post your question at WordPress community forums like:

https://wordpress.org/support/forums/
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/

Other WordPress users can share their personal experiences and recommendations, involving similar requirements.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.