Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Convert classic content to blocks

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by PiotrO586 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Hi,
I'd like to bulk convert my website content from classic format into blocks. I use layouts and views too.
What's the best way to do it when using Toolset? Any recommended plugins for blocks conversion (I considered Bulk Block Converter)?

Thanks

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

The "Bulk Block Converter" plugin may be a good solution to convert custom post types content from the classic editor to the blocks editor. Especially, those you can configure in Toolset->Post Types, to use the blocks editor. But to convert content templates, views, and layouts, I don't think it is a good solution.

First, consider dropping the Layouts plugin, as we are considering it to be a legacy plugin. We won't add any new features to legacy plugins, but we will still fix bugs if they arise.
So, you will need to create a content template per each layout assigned to a custom post. Then, switch posts from the currently assigned layout to the new content templates. Once this is done, you can safely, drop the Layouts plugin.

Regarding views, you will need to build new views using the blocks editor, or you can continue using the legacy views inside a view block.

Honestly, I would suggest that you work on dev/staging server and test all the parts of your website before applying this on the live site.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have further questions.

Hi Jamal,

I just tried Bulk Block Converter but it doesn't seem to work at all. Do you know any other plugin that would do the job?
I use layouts with Access, to show content for unauthorized users. How can I replace layouts in this case?

Jamal
Supporter

You said: I just tried Bulk Block Converter but it doesn't seem to work at all. Do you know any other plugin that would do the job?
What are you trying to convert?

I use layouts with Access, to show content for unauthorized users. How can I replace layouts in this case?
You can replace layouts with content templates. You'll need to work on each layout at a time.

1. I wanted to convert each page and post from classic to block format. By turning on the "block editor" by each post type I see that WordPress converts page/post content into single (classic) html block. I expected that the Bulk Block Converter could convert the content of each page/block into corresponding individual blocks, e.g., paragraphs into paragraph blocks, etc. I cannot test it because the plugin doesn't work. So, if I am to rely on the Toolset option to switch into blocks, then I need to edit each page and change html blocks into paragraph/list blocks (or others). Is that correct?
2. Ok, will try it.

Thanks

Jamal
Supporter

Exactly. When Toolset configuration uses the blocks editor for a custom post type and once opened, the old content will be added in a single classic block. You will need to work on each post at a time to fully convert it into blocks.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

One more thing: do I need to consider any changes to front-end forms responsible for adding/editing content when switching to blocks?

Jamal
Supporter

No. The forms are still built with shortcodes. It is added to pages/content templates/etc. using shortcodes. All forms should keep working as expected. However, there is a new Block(Form block) that you can use to add a form without using the shortcode.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.