Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Content Layout does not honor width/height of embedded media in shortcode

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by webD-3 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Nigel.

Author
webD-3-embedded-media-20160912.jpg

I am trying to: Place the following shortcode in a Content Template to display a Custom Field of Embedded Media type containing a Youtube URL

[types field='homepage-video' width='480' height='270']

I expected to see: An embed of 480x270

Instead, I got: An embed of 100% wide (1170px, width of .container) with the following resulting HTML:

<iframe width="100%" height="657.3033707865169" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" src="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>">

I am able to constrain the embed by specifying the height and with in CSS but don't understand why the above shortcode does not work.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

What if you try to add following code to your functions.php file:

add_shortcode('my-youtube', 'wpv_shortcode_youtube');
function wpv_shortcode_youtube($atts, $content = null) {
        $id = '';
        $a = shortcode_atts( array(
                'width' => '480',
                'height' => '270',
        'url' => ''
    ), $atts, 'my-youtube');

if($a['url']){
            parse_str( parse_url( $a['url'], PHP_URL_QUERY ), $url_vars );
            $id = $url_vars['v'];
        }

return "<iframe width='" . $a['width'] ."' height='" . $a['height'] . "' src='<em><u>hidden link</u></em>{$id}?rel=0&showinfo=0' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>";
}

And than in you can output embed video with this code:

[my-youtube url="[types field='homepage-video'][/types]"]

Does this help?

I had to add output=raw to the Types the shortcode slightly to get the video to display...

[my-youtube url="[types field='homepage-video' output='raw'][/types]"]

However, the end result is the same; the resulting iframe code has a width of 100% and a height equal to 56.25% of the container width.

I have tried disabling all plugins, including disabling and reenabling Toolset plugins, but the problem persists.

Minesh
Supporter

What if you try to check with the default theme (2016)?

I have changed to the default Twentysixteen theme, and both the regular shortcode

[types field='homepage-video' width='480' height='270'][/types]

and the custom shortcode you provided above

[my-youtube url="[types field='homepage-video' output='raw'][/types]"]

work perfectly when inserted into the content template.

When I switch back to the Toolset Starter Child Theme again, the video once again fills the entire container.

Minesh
Supporter

What if you try to wrap the iframe code within the div and check if that works:

For example:

return "<div class='yourclass'> <iframe width='" . $a['width'] ."' height='" . $a['height'] . "' src='<em><u>hidden link</u></em>{$id}?rel=0&showinfo=0' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe></div>";
}

I see in our internal system that this issue is already reported and this will be fixed in next release of types version 2.3.

Wrapping a div around the iframe doesn't seem to make any difference. However, if a fix is on its way that is OK; this is a new, under-construction site that is not yet ready for launch. What is the estimated timeframe for version 2.3?

Minesh
Supporter

Yes - this issue will be fixed with next release of types version 2.3.

Unfortunately, I do not have any ETA on this but I'll update you as soon as we release next version.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Last night we rolled out minor-version updates of several plugins of the Toolset suite, which should have fixed this problem.

Be sure to have a current backup available and then apply all of the Toolset updates, and then re-test.

If you still see the problem then please reply here so it can be investigated further.

I have updated all the Types plugins and now it does seem as though the Youtube embed is preserving the width and height I have placed into the shortcode. Thank you!