Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Confusion regarding Theme integration

This support ticket is created 5 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
-- I would like to ship a custom theme without all the toolset plugins but as one functioning theme. That (looks like it) is possible: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-build-toolset-based-themes/
In practice this would imply that we build the theme on a subdomain finish it and deploy it on the livedomain. If we want to make any functional changes, we do that on the subdomain and push the updates.
This would be a more stable and professional way to extend functionality and i keep control of the themes.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-build-toolset-based-themes/
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/layouts-genesis-integration/

Above link are 2 ways to built custom theme.
I have few questions regarding it.
-- How does the Genesis framework fit in this? What if it updates in the future, can this be done on the livedomain? Or do we do the update on the production server and push a new release?
-- Same for the Toolset plugins. What if they have an update? Do we need to update on our production server and push it to live? Or is updating not nessecary since it is a working codebase and there is no need to maintain/change anything on live?
-- Can we brand our own themes (do they look 100% custom in the backend?)
-- What are the downsides of working this way? And what are the upsides?

I am having confusion between above 2 articles for building custom theme.
Can you please help me?

-- How does the Genesis framework fit in this? What if it updates in the future, can this be done on the livedomain? Or do we do the update on the production server and push a new release?
Genesis cannot be used as a Toolset-based theme, for two main reasons.
1. Toolset-based themes cannot be child themes - they must be fully-functional, self-contained themes.
2. You cannot bundle with the Genesis theme directly, unless you are the author of Genesis or have explicit permission to do so from the author. The license agreement explicitly prohibits this:
https://toolset.com/home/toolset-for-theme-authors/license-for-toolset-based-themes/

-- Same for the Toolset plugins. What if they have an update? Do we need to update on our production server and push it to live? Or is updating not nessecary since it is a working codebase and there is no need to maintain/change anything on live?
Let me get the most up-to-date information about this, and I will update you shortly. We just released Types 3.0, and I want to confirm which version our TBT Users will receive.

-- Can we brand our own themes (do they look 100% custom in the backend?)
Can you be more specific about what you expect to customize? You can fully customize any files to create a fully-functional theme that is branded however you'd like, then upload those theme files to the theme builder tool. Our system will package those files along with the Toolset plugins you require, and generate a complete theme package. The Toolset installer is not 100% customizable, but any branding you apply in the original theme files you create will be maintained in the package you deliver to your clients. There are some other restrictions explained in our licensing documentation, like you can't use the word "Toolset" in the theme name. See the link above for licensing information.

-- What are the downsides of working this way? And what are the upsides?
A few upsides:
- Your clients don't have to create Toolset accounts or download and install plugin zip files. The automated installer helps you get a new site up and running on your custom theme faster and easier.
- You can distribute default content easily, so your clients don't have to create new Post Types and Views to get started. All the basics are already there.

A few downsides:
- Licensing and distribution is your responsibility
- Updating the theme requires that you use the Toolset theme builder system, so there are a few more steps required to push out updates.
- Your clients do not have access to Toolset Professional Support.

Your clients will be prompted to update Toolset plugins in wp-admin like usual when new updates are published. I just spoke to our developer and he let me know that clients should receive the new Types 3.0 (or higher), but there is currently a bug where clients are receiving Types 2.3.1 instead. We are working to resolve that problem now.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.