Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Conditional Block – logged in

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Capture.PNG
blocks.PNG

Hi - I am using a Toolset Blocks, conditional block to show and hide content. I can see how to show content to different user roles using the conditional block but how do i show or hide depending on whether the user is logged in or logged out?

Thanks!

not-logged-in.png
logged-in.png

Hello, you can test the Current User ID to determine whether or not the Current User is logged in. If a User is logged in, the Current User ID will be greater than or equal to ( >= ) the static value 1. If the User is not logged in, the Current User ID will NOT be greater than or equal to the static value 1. See the screenshots here for example conditionals for both cases.

That worked great - thanks Christian!

I just have a quick question about the conditional logic blocks. I have a page which has 1 block which shows content to logged in users and 1 block that shows content to logged out users (all in the same page). My question is does the page still have to load all the content or does it simply ignore everything in the conditional block that it is not showing. I'm thinking of page performance as the page design I am doing this for has a lot of elements in it.

My question is does the page still have to load all the content or does it simply ignore everything in the conditional block that it is not showing. I'm thinking of page performance as the page design I am doing this for has a lot of elements in it.
Conditional blocks are executed server-side, so if the conditional is "false" the content included in that conditional is never sent to the browser. That means text and images are not loaded in the initial page load if the conditional is false. I think that's what you mean by "ignored". So yes, that content is ignored and never loaded, as opposed to being loaded in the page but hidden by CSS / JavaScript - as in Forms conditional groups. Those conditions are implemented on the front-end, meaning all the content is loaded into the browser when the page loads. Then the conditional content is displayed or hidden as needed when the Form fields are changed.

So for conditional blocks, the content is ignored. For Forms conditional groups, the content is not ignored.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.