Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Compatible search filter plugins

This support ticket is created 3 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

I wanted to ask if you know which 3rd party plugins work well with Toolset, examples, FacetWP, SearchWP

Thank you

Hello, Toolset does not offer any direct integrations with 3rd-party filtering systems, so their compatibility is more or less unknown. It's not possible to use a 3rd-party search filtering system combined with the output of Views, in any case. Views output must be controlled by a View filter, unless you have some knowledge of JavaScript and PHP and can implement your own custom control layer.

You can search the forums for other tickets related to these plugins to see what other Users have experienced, but I don't have a consolidated list of pros and cons for each plugin. Some Toolset features are proprietary, like post relationships, so I would not expect post relationships filters to be possible with 3rd-party search plugins. Checkbox group fields store data in a serialized format, so I'm not sure if that would work well with 3rd-party filtering systems. Another typical obstacle is date fields, which can be stored in various data formats by different custom field systems. Toolset stores dates in Unix timestamp format, which may or may not work with a 3rd-party's date filters, it depends on how they are programmed.

If I were looking for a 3rd-party filtering system, I would set up some test data using custom post types, custom fields, taxonomies, and post relationships. Include various types of custom fields including checkboxes groups, dates, select fields, radio buttons, and basic text and number inputs. Then configure a custom search that tests each of those filters.

If you have questions about the data formats or storage mechanisms for Toolset data, feel free to let me know and I can give you some general information that might help facilitate a conversation with a 3rd-party search plugin's support team. Or if you want to set up some tests online I can take a look in your wp-admin area to see if there's anything we can do on the Toolset side to help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.