Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Clickable images linked to a custum post type post field url

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

fields and text.png
field group.png
conditional.png

The problem is with your field slugs which are wrong (field group screenshot).

The conditions are testing Types fields which don't exist which is why nothing is output.

I inserted a Conditional block for the condition, and using the dialog I chose the correct field and specified it should not be empty (screenshot conditional.png).

Inside that I inserted a Fields and Text block and in HTML mode added the link. In the screenshot of your Fields and Text block you can see the wrong slug, but you wouldn't have that if you'd used the little Fields and Views button to insert the types shortcode.

You should be able to do the same for your other file field.

As you mentioned yourself, there is a problem with your staging site where the URLs do not appear to have been fully updated, so when trying to edit the custom field group it takes you to the production site. I'm not sure what tool you use to create the staging site, but it isn't fully updating URLs. I had to manully type in the URL for the staging site to edit the custom field group rather than rely on the edit link.

I didn't see another ticket about translations, so I trust that is being handled by WPML.

Hi Nigel,

Thx for your awesome support
Siteground is offering my staging environment but the domain is on another provider.
I will shift all to live shortly and then build the full product database
With your solution i can create other file fields

All is solved and i will use all this as a backup for future reference

Thx,

Peter

Hi Nigel,

Still one question;

I added another file field and it all is fine (on my English page) Now i want these also to show up my Dutch page.
The issue is that the conditional block on my main English language page has no option to make it translatable or to show up as translatable on my Dutch page ??

So how do i get these 2 show up on my Dutch page ?? (or is that a WPML question)

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update and glad that Nigel's suggestions helped.

He is on vacation and will be back on Wednesday, but you're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved.

To get the most accurate and up-to-date information related to WPML's translation features, it would be best to consult its official support forum:
https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/

For a new question or concern related to Toolset, you're welcome to start a new ticket.

regards,
Waqar

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Tim

The same files should show up on the Dutch page, or different ones?

What I mean is, the PDF file we've worked with so far is in, say, English. Dutch users would see the same file? Or you want to be able to display a Dutch language PDF to Dutch users?

Translatable fields for dutch page.png
PDF showup english.png
PDF showup Dutch.png
HTML String translation product pdf.png

Hi Nigel,

The PDF (links) works on in the English main language version show up but not on the dutch version since it does not show up as a translatable item in wpml sgl product page and as such is not placed on my Duch page.

I can find the html formula in WPML string translation and translated all.
Why doesn it show up?

Pls don't let me get stuck between toolset and wpml pointinh at each other. this is the last part of finalizing all issues and getting stuck would be a big bummer.
You guys are one company so I hope this can be solved internally (I hope)

Thx again,

Peter

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry, but you didn't answer my question, so I'm still not sure how to set this up.

If the English post shows links to a PDF file that is in English, what should the Dutch post show?

A link to the same PDF file (English), or to a different file which is in Dutch?

Sorry Nigel,

exactly the same, just being able to copy all to the wpml dutch side to show up (same english PDF's and same thumbnails)

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 12.51.24.png

Thanks.

I went back to your site to check on the front-end, but any products I try to visit result in a 404.

In any case, the issue is—I believe—with your WPML settings.

In the screenshot you can see that your Types fields are set to "Translate".

But that means providing different values for the fields in the different language versions of the posts.

Whereas what you want is to just add the field value to the English post and have the Dutch post automatically use the same value.

For that, you should use the "Copy" setting for the custom fields where this is the case.

That will effectively duplicate the value from the English post to the corresponding Dutch post, and any changes you make to the field value in the English post will also affect the Dutch post (unlike Copy Once setting).

Having updated the setting, you will then need to re-save the English versions of the posts for this to affect the Dutch translations.

Sgl post template.png

Hi Nigel,

I must be blind but if i go to

hidden link

Sgl product page template then i don't see the items you highlighted

Were can i find these? (see also screenshot

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 07.48.04.png

My screenshot came from editing a BNS Product (I just checked again editing Scigrip SG300 series).

You can also find translation preference settings for the individual custom fields when editing them at Toolset > Custom Fields (see latest screenshot from my test site; I still can't visit that page on your staging site).

Or use the WPML settings at WPML > Settings > Custom Field Translation (where you can search for the individual fields).

Hi Nigel,

It has been a bumpy ride the last few months with gutenberg, divi, wpml and toolset.
Your 404 error reaching the custom fields settings is due to an issue with siteground and their staging.
If i want to reach these settings it strangely redirects to the live site to alter/edit them and that is no issue for me since my admin login is the same for both. You only have access to the staging admin so that results in the 404 error I assume.

Most of the issues I had the last month are solved, so I will make the staging website live this friday and try to solve the last issues with toolset/wpml from there.

Please let me know if I/we should close this ticket and start a new ticket (and admin login) from the live environment (should be the same if all staging goes to live incl admin roles I presume)

Thanks for all help so far

Nigel
Supporter

Is there anything left still to discuss?

There are 3 places to set the WPML settings for those custom fields, only one of which is via the problematic custom field group settings page.

Did you change the settings?

Is there still a problem?

Make translateble.png
PDF Code.png

Hi Nigel,

All seams to be OK again (404 pages of products gone).
The last question i have is to make the PDF codes visible on my dutch pages (Main English works fine) i should make the multilingual content setup on my sgl product page template ' Make 'Content Templates' appear as translated'.
At the moment i don't dare to change this setting without asking first.

Or is this a wpml question?

Nigel
Supporter

You normally do not want Content Templates to be translatable, so that the same Content Template is used regardless of the language.

Whether or not individual fields added to the templates are translated or not will then depend on the settings for those fields.

You would need a good reason (i.e. showing different content for different languages, rather than the same content but translated) to choose a setting other than that Content Templates are not translatable.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.