Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Clarification on Repeating Fields Groups

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

In my site i have custom post type contacts, every contact can attend to 1 or more courses (usually 1 to 5). We'll plan to have 10.000-30.000 contacts.

Instinctively i was thinking to use method of advanced custom field and add repeater fields (course type, level, date, ecc...)

I read also some post on this forum, and some article from toolset documentation on group fields (many to many relationship or one to many)

I'm a little confused on options and my question is:
in my case what is the correct option i should use with toolset (especially from database point of view)?

Solution:

It depends on your settings.

I assume we are talking about this case:
Two custom post types:
- contacts
- courses
One "courses" post can connect with multiple "contacts" posts
One "contacts" post can connect with multiple "courses" posts
If it is, I suggest you try to setup many-to-many relationship between custom post types:
- contacts
- courses
see our document:

Relevant Documentation:

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/many-to-many-post-relationship/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 6 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hello and thanks again for this plugin, more i use and more i like it, i plan to use for all my projects. Now with the questions:

In my site i have custom post type contacts, every contact can attend to 1 or more courses (usually 1 to 5). We'll plan to have 10.000-30.000 contacts.

Instinctively i was thinking to use method of advanced custom field and add repeater fields (course type, level, date, ecc...)

I read also some post on this forum, and some article from toolset documentation on group fields (many to many relationship or one to many)

I'm a little confused on options and my question is:
in my case what is the correct option i should use with toolset (especially from database point of view)?

Thanks!

Dear CulturaI,

It depends on your settings.

I assume we are talking about this case:
Two custom post types:
- contacts
- courses
One "courses" post can connect with multiple "contacts" posts
One "contacts" post can connect with multiple "courses" posts
If it is, I suggest you try to setup many-to-many relationship between custom post types:
- contacts
- courses
see our document:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/many-to-many-post-relationship/

Hello Luo and thanks for your response, you have understood exactly my situation.

Also I thought about many to many relationships.

With 20.000-30.000 contacts, every contact between 1-5 courses and a good hosting company i have to expect good performances?

I don't think it will conduct performance problem, and in the beta version of Types plugin, we introduced the enhanced many-to-many relationship settings, see our blog post:
https://toolset.com/2017/12/types-and-views-betas-with-many-to-many-relationships/

Thanks Luo the video in beta version seem to be made for my case.

Seem great and i would try this new version, i read that production (i think it means stable) version should to be ready by end of this month?

No, I don't think the stable version will be released in this month, it might take more time, and our developers are working on it, I suggest you subscribe to our blog to get the updated news:
https://toolset.com/blog/

It is safe to use this beta version on production site? I have no post atm so i don't have to save datas

No, it is not recommended to use beta version plugins in a production site, but you can use the latest stable version of Types & Views plugin in your production site, we will provide easy method to upgrade the many-to-many relationship to the new many-to-many relationship.

Very good i understood, thanks!

You are welcome

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.