Skip Navigation

[Closed] Child post type option not displaying in CRED create

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 8 years ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
child-post-type.gif

I am trying to: Select child post type to create in child CRED form. I created the child post type and form page. The form works fine, but posts to parent. Parent and child post types relationships are set to each other. In my child CRED form to create content for the child post type there is no such listed child post type to select to properly apply child content creation.

When I post using the CRED child form it saves the post as the parent post type and not the child post type because the only logical post type is the listed parent.

I visited this URL: Many and https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-forms-for-child-content/

I expected to see: Missing is the child post type listing in the child's CRED form creation wizard's dropdown at "Choose the type of content this form will create or modify:"

Instead, I got: Post types are "Opportunities" (parent) and "Opportunities Application" (child). Only the parent post type as an option and no child post type. Upon posting from child CRED from it doesn't post to child of parent. It posts directly as a new parent content.

Also, auto-generate form wants to insert parent fields and labels.

Sorry for rambling. What am I missing here? Thanks.

It is not possible to create a Child Post, until you created a parent Post.

This is why the CRED Forms do not hold a "Choose Child Post" (this is also not possible in the backend) or "Create Child Post" Field (possible in the backend after saving the parent)

What you can do with CRED is create (use) a CRED Create Child Post Link.

This is by default available in the GUI when you insert CRED Forms.

For this to work, you must first create a CRED Form that creates Child Posts.
This CRED is inserted somewhere on a page or post on your Website.

Then you use the GUI to insert the "Create Child Post Link" and define the Target Page/Post in the GUI.

This is elaborated here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-shortcodes/#cred_child_link_form
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-forms-for-child-content/

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if other issues or problems arise

Thank you for your patience.

I will read this again, but I really don't understand the nuances. I'm assuming that the link creates the child form for the parent post...???

I already have parent CRED form with an archive of posted content. I am trying to now create front-end user child posts from my child CRED form. I had manually added child fields and HTML formatting to the child CRED form and selected the parent content type then inserted the form's shortcode into the parent's view for user submission. This so users can post directly from the parent page view of the current and pre-existing parent content.

Parent/child application is at the core of my site's service. Been waiting for a video tutorial on parent/child creation as it is somewhat complex and reading about it and comprehension is frustrating and mentally taxing. Hope that video comes soon.

I'll go back and read about child links and hopefully that will help to resolve my issue. Will update. Thanks.

Beda,

Thanks for your reply. As communicated in my reply above, I already have content posted from parent CRED. I already created child CRED. I already created types for each child and parent and assigned relationships to each other. My created child CRED form configuration is stuck creating content for "parent post type". Posting child content to parent content with my child CRED form is my problem. There seems to be a significant misstep on my part.

After your answer:
----------------------------------------
I looked at the link https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-shortcodes/#cred_child_link_form. It really only tells me how the shortcode should look. Not actual steps for correctly displaying the child posting form or from where exactly (View or Content Template or Page?).

The generated link URL looks like this hidden link. When I click on the generated link it returns a 404 page. The child CRED form ID is really 1419 and not 3331. When I change to the correct child CRED form I get 404 page.

1) Where did it get ID 3331 from and does "p" represent "page" ID that the parent post is displaying from?
2) Why does it include reference to "CRED User Form" rather than "CRED Form"?
3) When I go to see if I should have created a "CRED User Form" instead of a "CRED Form" for child posts it wants to create a form for creating a user. This is confusing.
-----------------------------------------

I expected it to be a simple as selecting my child's post type from the child CRED configuration wizard. Maybe I'm not very bright about the logistics. I've been revisiting and putting this parent/child off for 2 years now. I can't avoid it anymore. It's essential to my application.

So very confused.

1. I'm assuming that the link creates the child form for the parent post

The CRED Create Child Link is to be used on the parent post, correct.

Either with a Content Template, so it will appear on all posts, or directly in the Parent Pot Body.

Hitting it, will create a Child Post, with the parent set.

2. I already have parent CRED form with an archive of posted content.

This is great, but it will create PARENT Posts.
You can NOT add the "create Child post" CRED Link in the CRED Form for the parent, but must add it in the Parent POST.

3. I am trying to now create front-end user child posts from my child CRED form.

This also works.
If you do not use the Link, but the form directly, you will have to choose the parent of rate new Child post.

4. This DOC elaborates on how to create and insert Child Content CRED forms:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-forms-for-child-content/

You can link to this Page where the CRED Child Form is, with the CRED Create Child Link
This is all available in the GUI, and I elaborated on the steps here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/child-post-type-option-not-displaying-in-cred-create/#post-379966

5. From your posted URL I gather you use a USER CRED form, is this correct?
This is not what is intended to be done.
Users can not have Child or parents Posts.

It must be a POST CRED Form.

There must be some serious misconfiguration on your site.

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would, if possible, need access to a site where only a minimal set of Plugins and a default theme is active.
This to avoid eventual compatibility issues with other software.

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important

✙ Please add the Links to:

- The CRED Edit Screen

- The Page/Post where you insert the CRED Form

- The corresponding Front End Page/Screen

- Please elaborate exactly the workflow you want to take.
Without a clear instruction, I will not be able to locate the forms, views and posts, including the desired workflow.

I will after setup a dummy system for you, so you can adapt it to your needs
This will include posts, Forms, Views and all what is necessary.

Thank you

The topic ‘[Closed] Child post type option not displaying in CRED create’ is closed to new replies.