Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Checkboxes with tag displays in template editing mode but not on front end

This support ticket is created 3 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
checkboxes_issue_201120.jpg

I am trying to: display single items of a checkboxes field as a list, not just in one line separated by commas. Sadly, the single field block for checkboxes doesn't have display options like the repeating field block. The closest workaround I found was setting a <br> tag as separator, which works fine in the preview I get to see in the edit template mode, but not on the front end.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the items one below the other, as displayed in the template editing mode.

Instead, I got: no display of the field at all.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I run a test on a clean install and I am not getting the same settings as you, check my screenshot hidden link

According to the debug info provided, you are using the latest version, so I wonder if this block was added before the update of the plugin? If yes, I'll suggest removing the block and adding it again.

Otherwise, please switch to a default theme and try again.

If this does not help, please allow me temporary access to check this closely. Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **
Please provide the URL for the content template or view, and the URL to the custom fields definition.

Hi Jamal,
I'm afraid there is a misunderstanding.

You ran your test on a "single line" custom field, whereas my problem is with a "checkboxes" custom field.
I tried to be very precise in my original post and I'm not sure how I can improve it's clarity. May I ask you to read through it again?

If it helps:
The block was created using the latest version of toolset and I already tried deactivating all non-toolset plugins and switching back to the 2020 theme.

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Alexandre and my apologies for misunderstanding the issue.

To better assist you this time, I prefer that we work on the same example. For that reason, I have created a test site that has the required Toolset plugins. Please create the custom field, a test post, and a content template to demonstrate this issue, and I'll do my best to help.
You can log in with this one-click-login URL hidden link

Hey Jamal, thank you for setting up the test site.
I activated the Toolset Plugins, created a custom post type, a corresponding custom field and created a custom post with selected checkboxes.

Now, if you go to the Toolset > Content Templates > Edit, you'll see that the values from the checkboxes field are displayed below each other.

If, however you look at the example post on the frontend, it does not get displayed at all.

The problem seems to be that in the content template editor > single field blocl > field options, I chose an a <br> tag as a separator.
If you change the separator to a comma or another simple character, the values get displayed in one line, separated by the – surprise – separator 😉

I, however want them to display below each other, like it is the case in the content template editor.
And since there's no option to display the content as a list, I went with the workaround of makinge the separator a <br> tag.

I found this method somewhere in the documentation – and in the content template editor, it seems to work.
But as you can see, sadly not on the front end, where it counts.

Kind regards,
Alex

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Alex and thank you!

I can see the issue, HTML inside the separator option crashes the Single Field block. I'll escalate this to our 2nd Tier for further analysis.

As a workaround, you can use a shortcode inside a "Fields&Text" block, a Classic Block, or in a shortcode Block. You can use the Toolset button to add the shortcodes using the user interface on the "Fields&Text" and the Classic Blocks. Check this screenshot hidden link

I have made some examples on the test page. Check this screenshot hidden link
hidden link

[types field='alex-checkboxes' separator='<br>'][/types]

I'll keep you updated about the issue on the single field block.

Thank you for the workaround Jamal.

As I have quite a few checkboxes fields on the website in question:
Could you provide an estimate as to when the issue might be fixed on your end?

(Just weighing if it's worth investing the time to implement the workaround on all my fields vs. waiting for the bugfix on your end)

Kind regards,
Alex

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Alex, Unfortunately, we, at the support team, do not have any visibility on how or when issues will be fixed by the developers. Also, when it will be handled by the testers.

All we can promise, right now, is to keep you informed once the issue is fixed, or if the developers provide a patch, which is not the case for this issue.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.