Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Changing the order of custom field meta boxes on post edit screens

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to change the order of custom field meta boxes on the post edit screen, and, also, how to change the "Enter title here" placeholder text for a custom post type.

Solution:
You can re-order custom field meta boxes on the post edit screen simply by dragging and dropping them while editing one post, and the changes will be applied to all posts of that type.

You can also modify the "Enter title here" placeholder text using the built-in 'enter_title_here' WordPress filter.

Relevant Documentation:
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/enter_title_here/

This support ticket is created 6 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by katjaL 6 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I'm pretty new using toolset, so bear with me if this is something obvious, I just couldn't find the answer.

I would like to create a custom post type where there would be fields:

Artist surname: <- this would be the post title
Artist first name:
Artist title:
Files:
Bio: <- this would be the text editor

But I get
Post title (artist surname)
Text editor (artist bio)
And the rest of the custom fields below in its own group.

This field order is not logical in this post type and thus it's odd for the editor.

So couple of questions:
1. how to change the labels of the "default" fields
2. how to change the order of all the fields

I already tried to add the multi row text field (for bio) as a custom field (and then hide the default text editor field), but it didn't have the editor feature.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Katja

Regarding changing the labels for default fields, I take it you mean the post title and post body? The post title will automatically use the name of the custom post type (e.g. "Add new Project"), but the placeholder text in the field still says "Enter title here".

You can change that using a standard WordPress filter 'enter_title_here', see: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/enter_title_here/

The post body does not have a label or placeholder content, so I'm not sure what you would change there.

You can change the order of the meta boxes on the post edit screen by dragging and dropping them. If you change the order for one of the posts of a post type it will be used for all posts on that post type.

You cannot, though, move the meta boxes for custom fields above the standard fields for post title and post body.

You are correct that using a multiline text field instead of the post body gives you a simple textfield rather than a full wysiwyg editor.

If you still have any doubts, let me know.

Hi Nigel and thank you!

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.