Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Change what a map shows when there are no search results

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The client wanted to change the zoom accordingly the results of the View. If it doesn't return any results, then the zoom should be different.

Solution:

1. Call the map render as last thing in the layout
2. Add your default marker inside of the no posts found shortcode
3. Just like this:

[wpv-layout-start]
    [wpv-items-found]
    <!-- wpv-loop-start -->
    <ul class="wpv-loop js-wpv-loop">
        <wpv-loop>
            <li>[wpv-post-body view_template="Loop item in posts"]</li>
            [wpv-map-marker map_id='map-4' marker_id='marker-[wpv-post-id]' marker_field='wpcf-address-test'][/wpv-map-marker]
        </wpv-loop>
    </ul>
    <!-- wpv-loop-end -->
    [/wpv-items-found]
    [wpv-no-items-found]
    [wpv-map-marker map_id='map-4' marker_id='marker-[wpv-post-id]' address='Rua Pedro Trogo - Santo Antônio, Juiz de Fora - State of Minas Gerais, Brazil'][/wpv-map-marker]
    [/wpv-no-items-found]
    [wpv-map-render map_id='map-4' marker_icon='http://localhost:8888/teste/wp-content/plugins/views-addon-maps/resources/images/markers/Buildings.png']
[wpv-layout-end]

Now use a Views JavaScript front-end event to change the zoom dynamically:

jQuery( document ).on( 'js_event_wpv_addon_maps_init_map_started', function( event, data ) {
    if (WPViews.view_addon_maps.maps_data[0].markers[0].marker == 'marker-123'){
        data.map_options.single_zoom = 1;
    }  
});

First you will need to define an ID for your marker in the wpv-map-marker shortcode inside of no items found. Then use the same ID in the code above and your zoom can be adjusted.

This support ticket is created 8 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.73 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Adriano 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Adriano.

Author

I have a map that shows the result of a parametric search. My problem comes when the user filters the results such that there are no results. The map then shows a place in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Instead, I would like it to show the state of Oregon with no markers (ie, be able to control the lat long and zoom level of the map displayed with no results)

I tried putting a transparent marker in the No Results section of the loop. However, I couldn't control the zoom except by setting the map's zoom level when it displayed one result. This doesn't work because the zoom I want for 0 results is much lower than what I want when one legitimate result is returned.

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Thanks.

Hello,

To achieve that you need to follow this:

1. Call the map render as last thing in the layout
2. Add your default marker inside of the no posts found shortcode
3. Just like this:

[wpv-layout-start]
	[wpv-items-found]
	<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
	<ul class="wpv-loop js-wpv-loop">
		<wpv-loop>
			<li>[wpv-post-body view_template="Loop item in posts"]</li>
          	[wpv-map-marker map_id='map-4' marker_id='marker-[wpv-post-id]' marker_field='wpcf-address-test'][/wpv-map-marker]
		</wpv-loop>
	</ul>
	<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
	[/wpv-items-found]
	[wpv-no-items-found]
    [wpv-map-marker map_id='map-4' marker_id='marker-[wpv-post-id]' address='Rua Pedro Trogo - Santo Antônio, Juiz de Fora - State of Minas Gerais, Brazil'][/wpv-map-marker]
	[/wpv-no-items-found]
	[wpv-map-render map_id='map-4' marker_icon='<em><u>hidden link</u></em>
[wpv-layout-end]

This doesn't seem to solve the zoom issue. I had already had the no-items found marker showing up, but can't control its zoom level. I want a very zoomed out view for no markers found, but when one marker is found from the search, I want the results zoomed in on that marker.

You can use the code below in filter JS section:

jQuery( document ).on( 'js_event_wpv_addon_maps_init_map_started', function( event, data ) {
  	if (WPViews.view_addon_maps.maps_data[0].markers[0].marker == 'marker-123'){
      	data.map_options.single_zoom = 1;
    }  
});

First you will need to define an ID for your marker in the wpv-map-marker shortcode inside of no items found. Then use the same ID in the code above and your zoom can be adjusted 🙂

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my reply and any other questions you may have.

Regards,

Adriano Ferreira

That worked perfectly - thanks!

You are welcome.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.