Skip Navigation

[Closed] CF included in site Search with checkbox unchecked

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
wpcf text search toggle.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am trying to NOT include a custom field in site Search.

A custom field, heard-about-CNSV-friend, has the checkbox for include in text searches UNchecked in Edit Group, but the field IS being included in the search.

My main Search box uses Relevanssi. The Toolset settings > Text Search tab is confusing to me because the list of custom fields there includes only a small subset of my custom fields that should be included in Search. However, using the Search box does find ALL necessary custom fields, as is required.

The attached screen shot shows the field I need to EXclude from site Search, with the relevant checkbox unchecked. I don't understand why it is being included in Search.

Thanks,
Jeff Safire
–––––––––

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello Jeff and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I suspect that the field was used in Relevanssi search before. Please rebuild the Relevanssi index and check again.

You have only a subset of the custom fields in the Relevanssi search because not all the fields are supported in search, only the following field types are:
- Single line
- Multiple line
- WYSIWYG

https://toolset.com/course-lesson/searching-texts-in-custom-fields-with-toolset-and-relevanssi/#including-custom-posts-in-the-search

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Jamal –

I'm confused.
I re-indexed Relevanssi. No difference. The post-type, "members", appears in the Relevanssi Indexing Options > Post Types table, and Index is checked, and Exclude from Search is "no".

The field in question, heard-about-CNSV-friend, is a custom field in the custom post type, "members". As shown in my original post above, the field, heard-about-CNSV-friend, is not checked to include in Text Search.

In Toolset Settings > Text Search, the list of custom fields does not include the heard-about-CNSV-friend field.

So why is Search matching values from this field?

I did read the tutorial page link you included above in your reply – thanks.

One more thing...
I notice that in Relevanssi Search Options > Indexing tab, the Custom Fields select dropdown is set to "Visible". I have never changed this since this site was built 6 years ago. This seems to be incorrect according to the Toolset tutorial, but my Search has been working correctly all this time, except for this one field (as far as I know.) Perhaps this is where my problem lies? If I change this to "Some" I will have to manual type every custom field I want in Search? Yikes!

Can you please shed any more light on this?

Thanks,
Jeff
–––––––

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Thank you Jeff for your feedback. I still can't see why is this field is still included in the Relevanssi search, so, I wonder if you could allow me temporary access to your website or, preferably, to a staging site to check this issue further. Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Please provide a test example I can follow to see the issue, something like:
1. I go to xxx
2. I do xxx
3. I expect to have xxx
4. Instead, I get xxx

If I am not able to narrow down the cause of this, I might need to take a copy for further debugging locally, let me know if that's fine with you.

The topic ‘[Closed] CF included in site Search with checkbox unchecked’ is closed to new replies.