Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Certain views not displaying at all all of a sudden

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Suddenly some Views are not showing results on my site.

Solution: Discard the Content Templates used in the View loops, and move the content directly into the wpv-loop tags instead.

This support ticket is created 5 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by liatG 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Screenshot_Liat 2019-04-12 at 2.18.36 PM.jpg
Screenshot_Liat 2019-04-12 at 2.16.48 PM.jpg
Screenshot_Liat 2019-04-12 at 2.16.42 PM.jpg
Screenshot_Liat 2019-04-12 at 2.00.35 PM.jpg

Hi lovely Toolset team,

I had a very startling error on my site last week. All of a sudden, all of the online class content that my users have paid to access seemed to stop displaying. In other words, the front end stopped displaying Online Class Chapter content from my "class-parts" taxonomy. In addition, the sidebar navigation was disconnected as well - that is, even though the custom sidebar remains, and even though the widget HTML is still there, the sidebar reverted to the Main Sidebar. This was all a very customized set of nested views and custom code that Christian helped me set up last year. For it all to disappear was very unexpected.

I took a full copy of the site as a staging copy and restored my site from a backup from two days previous. The class display was recovered and everything functioned normally. I spent three days redoing the work I had lost when restoring from the backup.

Then, two days ago, after doing nothing but innocuous content changes (updating blog posts and the like), the same error happened again! My classes had disappeared and my customers were wondering why they were looking at blank pages. I again restored the site from a previous backup, losing two days' work. I thought it was because maybe I updated the Toolset plugins, but that doesn't seem to be it (the backup contained the updated plugins as well).

I would like your help, if at all possible, in tracking down what on earth is happening here. I am very worried that this will happen again out of the blue.

I have the original error currently in my staging site. Here is the example page: hidden link
To see the staging site, here are the credentials (sorry, I looked for a private field to type this into but couldn't find):

There are quite a few plugins deactivated, so the site doesn't look great, but you can definitely see the error. I am uploading screenshots of the Firefox Inspector showing the Views that should be displaying, and showing nothing but empty paragraphs. You can also see the active custom sidebar and its widget contents still on the backend, but not displaying on the frontend.

For comparison, here is the current site and class content as it should be: hidden link

good.png
bad.png

Hi Liat, it looks like the Content Template in this View was causing the problem:
hidden link

I copied the contents of that template and pasted them directly in the Loop Editor, then disassociated this template from the View. It seems to be working correctly now, can you confirm?

Live Site widget contents.jpg
Staging Site Widget Contents.jpg
Staging site - wrong sidebar.jpg
Staging Site Sidebar Settings.jpg
Live Site sidebar settings.jpg
Live Site - Correct Sidebar.jpg

Thank you so much, Christian! I see that this did solve the problem of the content not showing.

I was able to recreate the same fix with the navigation "previous" and "next" Views and now the Previous and Next navigation is visible as well. Yay!

The only thing I haven't been able to solve is why the sidebar navigation is not showing up. I know this is not exactly Toolset - it's Astra Pro's free Sidebar Manager plugin that I use to display a custom sidebar on certain pages and content types. But the error happened at the exact same time so I feel it is somehow related.

I deactivated and reactivated the Sidebar Manager plugin to no avail. The settings seem to be exactly the same as on my live site, where the sidebar is working correctly. The sidebar is set to display on All Class Part Archive pages. It shows the Class Part Archive Widget, that has nested Views. None of the nested Views uses a Content Template. All the settings seem to be correct, but the sidebar display the Main sidebar. See screenshots.

Thank you for any help you can give me in fixing the sidebar!

Cheers,
Liat

Not sure about this one. Even if i deactivate Layouts and Views, the wrong sidebar appears. Is it possible there is something cached at the server level, like an object cache, that can be purged?

I worked with my host and there's nothing cached. We think it was maybe caused by a plugin update. Either way, you solved my Toolset-related problem and I really appreciate it. 😀

Hi Christian,

The sidebar error just happened again in my third staging site. I found a solution and the issue does seem to be Toolset-related.

For some reason, ticking the box "Exclude from Search" in the Toolset Custom Post Type for the online-class-chapter post type makes it so that Astra Sidebar Manager can't find the Class Part Archive page to display the correct sidebar.

Un-ticking the box completely solves the problem in this instance.

However, doing this fix on the original staging site does not fix the sidebar problem. Just an update.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.