Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Categories not sorted by name

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
When ordering a View by Term Name, the output is still not sorted alphabetically on the front end of the view.

Solution:
Certain Plugins tend to alter the ordering of the query.
See for example this case:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/categories-not-sorted-by-name/#post-1220942
If you can exclude such conflicts and the issue is still happening, please contact us on the forum here.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by deanL 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Image 2019-03-26 at 10.43.41.png

I created a view that shows terms under parent category. I have set ordering by Term name, but the category terms are not sorted by alphabetically on the front. What am I missing?

When I use a View, nested to an Archive displaying posts in a Term, as you do, and order by Term Name, this works fine.

It must hence be either a specific setting or another software interfering here.
I suggest to try another Theme and disable the plugins unless Toolset, to see if this is the case.

You can do that on a testing site or after a backup.

If the issue then persist, I suggest outlining the precise steps for me to take in order to see this issue or attach a duplicate https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Thank you Beda! You are right! There was a plugin installed called "Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order" — for the life of me I have no idea why I installed it in the first place. As soon as I had deactivated the plugin the terms are now ordered alphabetically.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.