Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can't update settings of certain post types. Can update others.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidS-53 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Waqar.


I can't update settings for certain custom post types (on my site, these have the slugs maintenance and emergency-sops)

Error message when trying to save is: You cannot use this slug because it is already used or a reserved word. Please choose a different slug.

All I am trying to do is turn on the "Author" field. I've just successfully done this for a number of other post types, and it worked fine. I've tried deactivating all plugins bar Toolset and reverting back to 2019 theme with no success.

Seems pretty strange- any idea what is going on?



Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi David,

Thank you for waiting.

During testing on my own website, I noticed that this message shows on the post type edit screen when a page with the same slug as the post type exists.

On your website too, I found these two pages, which have the same slug, as the two post types:

1. hidden link ( same slug 'maintenance' as the post type "Maintenance Tasks")
( hidden link )

2. hidden link ( same slug 'emergency-sops' as the post type "Emergency SOPs")
( hidden link )

To avoid this, you can either update the slug of these pages or the post type slugs to something different.

I hope this helps.



Hmm, strange... OK, thanks for working it out. I'll rename the pages I guess- easier than messing with all of my code. Cheers!