Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can't display parent taxonomy term title in view.

This support ticket is created 5 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 14:00 10:00 – 14:00 10:00 – 14:00 10:00 – 14:00 10:00 – 14:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Pacific/Niue (GMT-11:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by geophray 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Yvette Oliveau.

Author
child-term-view.png
wordpress-archive.png

I am trying to: create a WordPress archive that contains a view that will show child terms for that taxonomy if they exist. If they exist I'd also like to have a subtitle above the output that says something like "Brands owned by [parent taxonomy title]".

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Brands owned by "Snap-on" (The parent term and the term of the current archive being displayed.)

Instead, I got: Brands owned by "Challenger LIfts" (Last child displayed in the view.)

I've included screenshots of the settings on my archive and view pages.

Yvette Oliveau
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Pacific/Niue (GMT-11:00)

SingleLevelTaxonomyArchive.png
TwoLevelTermListing.png
WordpressTaxArchive.png

Hello

Unfortunately, the screenshot link expired before I had a chance to view it.

I would first like to clarify if you really mean that you want to have a "Wordpress archive" or if you mean that you want a "Taxonomy Terms Listing" which would be implemented with a "view".

I have created on my test site a similar setup with :
CPT = Books
Custom Taxonomy = Book Genre, Author

Taxonomy "Book Genre" is hierarchical and has Parent-Child terms
Taxonomy "Author" only has terms on a single level.

Please review the 2 different listings that I made for this setup and the WordPress archive that I have. Do any of them approximate what you are trying to achieve?

Could you please upload again your screenshot?

2019-04-18_1014.png

Hi Yvette,

I'm sorry... I didn't realize those links expired. I will send you a new one now but can also send a persistent link with admin login credentials if you will enable my next reply as private.

hidden link

I am trying to create a taxonomy term archive template, not a CPT archive. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific in my original post.

Yvette Oliveau
Supporter

I´ve opened the private area for you.

You wrote: "..I am trying to create a taxonomy term archive template, not a CPT archive.."

Ok - I see that you already have the view created and you just need help with the taxonomy parent title.
Let´s see what we can do about that.

Yvette Oliveau
Supporter

AuthenticationRqurd.png

Hello

I am being prompted for site authentication information (see image)
I tried with the wordpress user/pass but they did not work.
Can you please provide these in the private area I am opening?

Oops. I didn't realize not putting anything in the WP admin login fields would cause that last reply to be public. (Didn't want to confuse the front end password with the WP admin login credentials.)

I don't think it is critical that it be marked as private as that username/password is only to access the front end of the site while it is in development, but if you can easily mark that reply as private I would appreciate it. 🙂

Yvette Oliveau
Supporter

UseArchiveNameInstead.png

Sorry for the delay on this holiday weekend.

To display the parent taxonomy name you should change the shortcode you are using in your view from this:

[wpv-taxonomy-title]

to this:

[wpv-taxonomy-archive info="name"]

I´ve left both versions in your current view definition so you can see how the use differs.
Here is the original post where the solution is described by another client:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-can-i-display-the-parent-taxonomy-name-on-my-wordpress-archive-by-taxonomy/
And here is the shortcode reference for your informaiton:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#vf-154477

I hope this resolves your issue.

Thanks so much Yvette! I was looking for a shortcode like that in the "Fields and Views shortcodes" area of the loop editor, but was having trouble finding it. I see that it is not listed there in the view editor nor the archive editor. I see that wp-archive-title is there, but it behaves slightly different from the shortcode you provided me. Is it safe to assume that not all available shortcodes are listed in the Fields and Views selector?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.