Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Cannot update plugin. Check for updates has no results.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by edW 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Shane.

Author

edW
types-update-plugin.png
types-update-plugin-commercial-tab.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Update the plugin. When I go to the Commercial tab and hit the Check for Updates button, nothing shows up. I can download the latest version from my online Toolset Types account, but not sure if I delete the plugin and reinstall it, if it will screw up my site. Why can't I update the plugin directly from wp-admin?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
no

Is there a similar example that we can see?
I attached screenshots

What is the link to your site?
alejandra.staging.wpengine.com/

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Ed,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Can you try unregistering Toolset and follow the method below in order to re-register the plugins with a new key ?
https://toolset.com/faq/how-to-install-and-register-toolset/#automatic-installation-once-you-have-types-plugin-installed

Please let me know if the issue still remains after try this.

Thanks,
Shane

edW

Thank you. I can't get to see the update in step 7. Nothing shows up after I submit the new key. I just have the Check for Updates button. The other button reads, "Unregister Toolset from this site." I tried two different keys in my account. Not sure what is going on.

edW

I also tried editing the wp-config.php file option.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the update.

At this point what I would do is to perform a manual update of the Toolset plugins by downloading the plugin from the link below and uploading it to your site.
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

Once you've done this check to see if you're able to register the plugins.

Thanks,
Shane

edW

Thanks Shane. I'm having new problems now. I installed the plugin manually after removing it from my site. Now I am unable to get a key. I click the link at the end of: " If you already have a key, get it from your account." Then it asks me to login to wpml. I don't have an account there. I was already logged into my Types account and when I add the site manually and copy/paste the key into my site, it doesn't accept the key.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ed,

Would you mind allowing me to have admin access to the site so that I can have a look ?

Thanks,
Shane

edW

Hi Shane,
Not sure if you've had time to login yet, but I wanted to check in and see if you found anything if you did.
Thank you again for your help!
Ed

Shane
Supporter

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 9.28.45 AM.png

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the patience.

I in fact tried with a site key I had generated and it worked , see screenshot.

Can you try going to this URL below and let me know if it generates a site key for you.
https://toolset.com/account/sites/?add=https%3A%2F%2Falejandra.staging.wpengine.com

Thanks,
Shane

edW

Hi Shane,
I see your screenshot. I am able to generate the key. I enter the key and hit save. Then I hit check for updates and that table of versions does NOT appear.

I checked the Installed Plugins page. I have Type 3.4.5 but it's still asking me to register.

I tried generating the key again and it said I already did and it showed me the key that I just entered.

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you!

edW

If you're able to register the key successfully, I'd love for you to do that for us please. Thank you.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ed,

Can you send me a screenshot of the registration page showing the key that was generated?

Unfortunately i'm not able to generate a key for you as it will be tied to our internal accounts here, so the key must be generated from your end.

I will like to check the keys to see what happens.

Thanks,
Shane

edW

hidden link

edW

Is this thread private or public?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Ed,

Thank you for for the screenshot.

I've actually trashed the post with your screenshot, however looking at your account it only provides you with the Types plugin. From what I can see the site is registered correctly.

I'm not sure why its asking for the WPML registration key when you don't have it. However I believe its because the Types only accounts don't exist anymore and the only way to get types only is through a subscription with WPML because its given to WPML users for free.

Thanks,
Shane