Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Cannot set Page Attributes Template. Saving doesn't save the setting.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tracie 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

This is related to a previous issue where all pages are set a default "Template Layout" that causes the pages to go blank. Whenever I create a page and save it, regardless of the "Template Layout" setting, a default template layout is set and it causes the page to be blank. I have to go back into the page and change it to "Don't us a a layout" and then the page shows content. This happens on EVERY page on the website, regardless of it using Toolset code or not. This was YOUR solution to the problem I was having with blank pages on pages using Toolset Views. I assumed this bug would be fixed by now as it is really, really annoying. When I published the new site I had to open every single page, clear off the template layout and save.

Can I turn off the "Template Layout" for all pages that don't use Toolset? Is there a way we can prevent it from messing up the rest of the website?

I am currently trying to set up a custom search engine template page (Google CSE) and need to assign a "Template" under Page Attributes. That's fine if I have a "Template layout" (by the way confusing naming something using a name already used in the same menu!) Changing the Template Layout to "Don't use a layout" removes the "Template" as well. If I have a "template layout" the page is blank. If I don't have the "Template" assigned, the page is blank. I need the template layout to be blank and the template to be google cse.

I cannot give you access to our live site. I was able to previously as it was a demo site.

Thanks,

Dave Pettitt

Hello,

Please check these:
1) Edit the "default Template Layout" you mentioned above, click button "Change how this layout is used", disable all option in it, and save.

2) Create a new page, you should be able to see in section "Template Layout": the default option is "Don't use a layout"

Hello.

Where do I edit the template layout? I am working in a page. When I start a new page it has the correct settings. It is only when I save that Toolset sets a template layout. I can create a page and preview it fine, but as soon as I publish Toolset breaks it by setting the Layout for Pages as the default.

I have one Layout created in Toolset for Publication pages (which are working fine).

Under "Template Layout" I can select the following:
Don't use a Layout
New Layout
New Layout
Template for Resources
Publication Template
Layout for Pages
Layout for Pages
New Layout
Layout for Pages

This does not seem right. Why are there so many copies? Does Toolset create a new copy every time I edit it? The bottom Layout for Pages wasn't there until I tried to edit it as you suggested. The Layout for Pages I edited (is there more than one or is that just the display?) was already cleared of all options.

When I create a new page, it defaults to Layout for Pages. I can't edit it, however unless I click "ok" beside it. This "ok" action seems to happen when the page is saved, regardless of clicking ok. It seems like the template layout is set at that point, regardless of user input. I will have to select Stop using this template layout for the page to work. However, after I hit "ok" and I can then edit, I get anew page with the message:

"You attempted to edit an item that doesn't exist. Perhaps it was deleted?"

I did not delete any Template Layouts.

Thanks.

The problem you mentioned above is abnormal, please check these:
1) In case it is a compatibility problem, please deactivate all other plugins, and switch to wordpress default theme 2020, deactivate all custom PHP/JS code snippets, and test again

2) Also check if there is any PHP/JS error in your website:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/debugging-sites-built-with-toolset/

3) If the problem still persists, please provide database dump file(ZIP file) of your website, also point out the problem page URL and layout URLs, I need to test and debug it in my localhost, thanks
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Thanks for the details, if you don't want to provide your website database dump file, you can describe detail steps to duplicate the same problem in a fresh WordPress installation.

We just need to reproduce the problem and debug it in localhost. Please let me know if you still need assistance for it. thanks

Removed your plugin. Working fine now.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.