Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Can I read an existing custom field?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a custom field that was not created in Types. Can I use Toolset to display the value of that field?

Solution: It depends on the custom field type and storage method. If it's a simple field value stored in the postmeta table, then you can use the wpv-post-field shortcode to display the value. Complex fields like checkbox groups and other serialized structures are not supported.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-field

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Hi. I have a lot of data in a wordpress custom field. If I use your custom plugin, can I read the data from that existing custom field, or can I only read data from custom fields created by you?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

Hi, assuming the custom field information is stored as a basic value in the postmeta table, then you can use the wpv-post-field shortcode to display that custom field value. However, some custom fields from other systems, like repeating fields or dates, are stored as serialized data, which cannot be displayed effectively using our shortcodes. So if your custom field has the slug "my-field" then you can use the wpv-post-field shortcode like this to display the basic field value:

My field: [wpv-post-field name="my-field"]

More information about this shortcode here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-field

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.