Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Bulk import media files with metadatas

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by romanB-3 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,
I am trying to rebuild a website that once was based on another CMS.
In my database, I have 6000 files (pdf, jpg, docx, rtf) that I need to import and associate with posts.
One way to doing this seem to import the posts with a custom "files" field including the list of files URLs.
Except by doing this I lose all metadatas on my original files (such as title and descriptions, which are needed for SEO purpose).
What other way would you suggest to import media files ?
Thank you.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Roman,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

Your requirement can be broken down into two main parts:

1. Importing files into the WordPress Media Library:

You'll need this step so that each file's metadata can be imported correctly with the files.

There are third-party plugins available like "Media from FTP" which can be used for this:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-from-ftp/

2. Adding those files in the custom fields of the related posts:

Once your files and their metadata has been imported successfully into the WordPress media library, you can import their URLs in the relevant custom fields for posts, as explained in this guide:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

By importing by FTP, I will still loose my metadatas such as "title", "alt", "description", which are in my CSV only, and not on the files. Or is it something I am missing ?

Thank you.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for writing back.

If you have the media files meta data in the form of CSV file, then this video from the "Import and Export WordPress Data as CSV or XML" plugin ( ref: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/ ) will help:
hidden link

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.