Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Build a custom category page with Taxonomy Navigation

This support ticket is created 3 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sebastienA-3 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Hello 🙂

I have some question about the construction of ToolSet V

I'm using the last version of ToolSet, ToolSetBlock and the Divi Theme.

- I have a two type of Publication "Game Family" ans "Games" with two Taxonomy Family "Category Navigation" and "Part of the Family".

On the Game Family, I need to build a list :

- an archive page with on top the Heading / Description of the "Category Navigation"
- just after a list of the all the sub category ( based "Category Navigation" ) on filtered by my actual Taxonomy "Category Navigation"
- In the middle the list of all the "Game Family" filtered by the actual Taxonomy "Category Navigation" with search filter and pagination

On the Single Page of the Game Family, I need to show :

- a list filtered by the taxonomy "Part of the Family" on the current post value to show all the other Games in relation

I can't find a good way to build this.

Can you help me in the reflexion or maybe with a video tutorial ?

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

From what understand so far, you want to build:
- An archive template for the "Category Navigation" taxonomy.
- A content template for the custom post type "Game Family".

I recommend you check our glossary on each of these Toolset elements:
- https://toolset.com/glossary/archive/
- https://toolset.com/glossary/template/

Let's first focus on the archive template for the "Category Navigation" taxonomy:
- Description of the "Category Navigation", this is straightforward. Depending, on whether you are building the archive template with the block editor or the legacy editor. On the block editor, you can add a "Single Field" block and choose its source to be the description of the taxonomy term. If you are using the legacy editor, you can use the wpv-taxonomy-archive shortcode to display the description. Use argument info="description".
- List of subcategories: You will need to create a view that will display the taxonomy terms, filtered by the parent, the parent is the current term of the page.
- List of "Game Family" posts. This is the loop part. Insert the blocks that you want to display for each post inside the loop.
If you are building the archive with blocks, you will notice a button to add search filters inside of the template, use them for your search form.

Check the video in this article on how to create an archive template:
- https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-custom-archive-page/

This article is about creating a view, but it is only for a view of posts, you will need to create a view of taxonomy terms, the process is similar http://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-view/

For the content template to display "Game Family", you want to display the related games that share the same taxonomy term "Part of family". You will need to create a view inside the content template to display these posts. The view will be filtered by the taxonomy "Part of the Family" when the terms are equal to those of the current post.

I hope this explains a bit what to do. If you have any doubts, let me know with more details and I'll try a test locally and send you screenshots about it.

3.JPG

Hello Jamal

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm using Bloc editor for the edition. Ok it's begin to be more logical !

Here my new problem after watching the video 😀

- When I add a view on my "Category Navigation Archive", I have only the possibility to add Post publication and no Taxonomy.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Jamal
Supporter

My apologies for missing that we can't, currently, create taxonomy views with the block editor. This is still in progress.

To work around it, you will have to use the legacy editor, at least, for the taxonomy views. Then you can add a view block into the archive template and, instead of creating a new view, you can choose the taxonomy view that you have created.
To enable the legacy editor, go to Toolset->Settings->General, and activate both editors in the editing experience section, check this screenshot hidden link

Check this screenshot for the options to choose for the taxonomy view hidden link
This view will display the subterms of the current archive term.

Then, use a "Fields & Text" block to insert the view. On the block, use the Toolset view button to choose the view. Check this screenshot hidden link

Once again, my apologies for forgetting to tell you about the current limitations of the blocks editor.

Let me know what you will get.

Hello Jamal : )

Thanks you so much for your help ! It's begin to work !

I have new question :

- the archive taxonomy template is build, it's working on preview but the template is not apply on my Front Website. DIVI template is empty. I have search but I have no clue : / How to debug it ?

- For the loop of Taxonomy term, it's ok ! I need to show only the direct child of current view, my taxonomy family have 4 sub children.

Once again thank : )

Jamal
Supporter

Awesome! we'll get everything working at the end 🙂

the archive taxonomy template is build, it's working on preview but the template is not apply on my Front Website. DIVI template is empty
Can you elaborate more on this? On what URL can we see this issue?

Please note, that Toolset is not compatible with Divi 4, and we recommend not mix Divi builder and Toolset on the same page. We recommend building dynamic pages with Toolset only. Check this article https://toolset.com/2020/01/how-to-build-advanced-sites-with-toolset-and-divi/

Please, allow me temporary access to check the issue closely, and provide more details about it. What URL? Any screenshots?
Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Jamal
Supporter

Please double-check the username and password, they did not work for me. You can update your previous reply with the correct credentials.

Can you explain again what archive is not working? Do you mean this page hidden link
or another URL?

I regen the password for the Account, the login is ok 🙂

Yes it's on this page. The template are not display on the root term and on the children layout is not filtered by the current taxonomy term.

Sorry for my bad English, it adds difficulty for you > <

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for the credentials.

This URL hidden link will always return a 404 error. Instead the following URL scheme [hidden link + / + {slug-of-term}] will return the archive of the that taxonomy term.
It is expected that hidden link will return a 404 response.

For this term page hidden link I think that you misunderstood what a content template does. It is used to display one post. Check this article from our glossary https://toolset.com/glossary/template/
When you assign a content template to a taxonomy archive, this content template will be used to display each post on the archive template. Unless there is an Archive template for that taxonomy, in that case, the archive template will be used.
This is the used content template hidden link
I changed its usage to not be used on the taxonomy archive anymore.

So, you need to create an Archive template instead of the content template "Modèle de contenu pourJeux éducatifs - Navigation 2" and assign this archive template to the taxonomy. Read our glossary article about archive template https://toolset.com/glossary/archive/
Edit this archive template and add the navigation view inside of it. Then customize its loop to display the post.
hidden link

I edited the archive to let you see an example and now it seems to do what it should check here hidden link

Let me know if you still have any doubts.

Hello Jamal,

I just reopened, the thread juste to thank you !

Once the logic understood, I have build all the structure of the website 😀

Thanks again for your help !

Seb

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you, Seb for this feedback. I am glad I could be of help.

If you do not need any further assistance on this issue, please mark this ticket as resolved, and open a new ticket for any other issue or question.

Best regards,
Jamal

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.